Wheelset

mickcee
mickcee Posts: 46
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Should you be able to change between wheelsets without much adjustment to the gears?

I have a set of Mavic Kyserium Elites which sit on my bike normally with out any issues with a Ultegra 12-28 cassette on it.

I have also a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS that I acquired last year which I have had on and off the bike with a brand new Ultegra 12-25 cassette on it without any problems until recently where there is a really loud clicking while peddling.

I am not sure if some adjustment is needed when I swap them? I never had to before and was hoping I could always just swap them when i fancied. To be honest I prefer the Kyseriums so might get rid if cant just straight forward swap as Im not very good with bike maintenance other then the basics

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It depends on the wheels. I find no adjustment is needed on my [campagnolo] wheels but yours may have slightly different cassette offsets.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I often find that swapping wheelsets necessitates the odd adjustment even when the logic/advice says it shouldn't, nothing major though. Just work out what is causing the clicking and be able to deal with it. Clicking just in the top or bottom gear, half a twist on the limit stops will sort it. Sluggish gear change up or down, half a twist either way on the barrel adjuster. The majority of issues can be solved quickly after fitting, just ensure you have time to do it, be competent at doing it and don't do too much. Sorted.