Upgrading from Alloy to Carbon Handlebar. Help

bikeme64
bikeme64 Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I am currently using 3T Ergonova pro 40cm C-C reach 77mm made of AL 7075 . I like the shape of it and it feels rather comfortable except that after 1-2 hours of riding my hands gets numb. I find that the handle bar reach is a little too long for me. So I have got myself a shorter stem from 110mm to 100mm and raise the stem angle from -17 to -6.

I am looking to upgrade the steering. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 3T Ergonova Team Carbon? the price is a lot more but its 70g lighter and will the carbon bar helps in reducing numbness for my hands? I have also purchased the 3.2 mm bar tape hoping that it will help.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sort the setup out firstly before spending money on carbon bars that will not cure pins and needles.
    If you cant do it yourself, then seek experienced/ professional help.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    70gr is not an upgrade worth having I think.

Do you wear mitts?

Is the bar too low and meaning you put more weight on it?

Are your tyres too hard?

Changing the stem does sound like it will help anyway.

I wouldn't change bars and I can't see the point of carbon bars. More expensive and no real weight saving.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Cant' see a carbon bar making a massive difference to comfort. Just look at how many of the pros use aluminium bars (and stems).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bikeme64 wrote:
    I am looking to upgrade the steering.

Assuming the bike already turns, then no further upgrade is needed.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    easy answer is no. find bars that fit you. I use zipp Sl70 alloy bars on the comfortable bike after moving away from 3t. no more issues.