Advice on Upgrading to new Bike

Newie Traveller
Newie Traveller Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi,

After some help/advice; I currently ride once or twice a week, weekends on combo of road & dedicated cycleways in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie region.

I currently ride an older bike, Giant Elswood ES 21 gearing combo, with standard pedals. I live in hilly area and looking to do better bike/more modern bike without going to full drop handle road bike.

Average ride is 60-80 kilometres (but want to increase to slightly longer as technique fitness improves) and I am not the lightest bloke around 112 kilos, 181cms tall, reasonably fit cardi wise.

Looking at

Trek 7.4 FX
Merida Speeder 200
Giant Cross City 0

Would appreciate views thoughts on experiences with these bikes, want to stay with the bike I buy for at least 10 yrs, my budget with bike, shoes, peddles & lights is no more than $1350.00 AUS

Also looking at adding clip on peddles, advise from bike shops is Shimano Clickers with recessed cleat shoes with about 6 degree float. Have torn my meniscus in left knee!!, hence no running but use bike for cardio & fun.

I've never ever ridden with cleats so concerned to get easy on, easy off style.

Look forward to reading the collective wisdom off cycling community

Thanks
Newie Traveller

Comments

• Thank you, al three of LBS have been good to deal with but getting the Owner/Rider view is important so appreciate your reply
    oxoman wrote:
    Mate loves his Merida speeder, often uses it instead of his defy. Merida make a lot of bikes for other well known brands, hence why they are a bit cheaper. To be fair not a lot wrong with the trek or the giant.
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Shimano do the SPD-SL in a light action version. These are supposed to be easier to clip in and out of. I had them as my first set of clipless but to be honest i didn't find them that much different to what they would call the standard SPD-SL.

Once you get the hang of clipping/un-clipping there is no problem mate.
  • Thank you, this has been the most confusing part in building my requirements list so that I get a quote from my LBS. each Sales Person I've spoken to has a different view; single sided, double sided, I think key will be doubled sided with edge & recessed cleats on shoe then just practice clipping in & out for a while before heading out on road
    Websta24 wrote:
    Shimano do the SPD-SL in a light action version. These are supposed to be easier to clip in and out of. I had them as my first set of clipless but to be honest i didn't find them that much different to what they would call the standard SPD-SL.

Once you get the hang of clipping/un-clipping there is no problem mate.