New Bike

dmoore120
dmoore120 Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Morning all. I am a complete noob to this forum and I am certain, somewhere in the abyss, a question like mine has been asked before but I had no luck finding it specifically. So here goes.

I am a confident rider and will be looking to upgrade at the end of this season. I live in Toronto so that means not many hills and I ride roads with not perfect finishing. My preferred distance is +100km and also intend to ride the new bike as my commuter (20km each way). I only ride roads. A lot of wind from Lake Ontario. I dont race and am happy leading my weekend group rides. I have C$8k to spend on a new bike and I dont really have any brand loyalty so happy to look at all options including building from different component. What should I do?
Mechanical vs electronic group set. Wheels. Frames.Power meters. There are so many questions and I really didnt know where else to ask.

Thanks in advance for your time.
DMO

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The most important thing is that you enjoy owning and riding whatever you buy. There are myriad choices...

Do you prefer steel/titanium traditional metal tubing frames or modern carbon?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dmoore120
    dmoore120 Posts: 3
    Svetty wrote:
    The most important thing is that you enjoy owning and riding whatever you buy. There are myriad choices...

Do you prefer steel/titanium traditional metal tubing frames or modern carbon?

I love carbon and have been riding it for a few years now. I currently have a 2010 Sworks Tarmac which I got for a deal but its time to buy new. With all the choices, which you mentioned, its hard to know which is best suited for those longer rides. Is it worth paying up for Di2 at the expense of say, better wheels? Is it worth paying up for a better frame set and wheels and going with dura-ace instead of Di2? My thoughts are:

Scott Foil
    Cervelo R3 - Di2
    Cervelo R5 - Dura-ace
    Cervelo S5 - Dura-ace
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix - Dura-ace

thanks again for your help