How's your helmet in this heat?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited July 2016 in Road general
I was very impressed with my Kask Mojito helmet yesterday evening. It was a very hot 27 degrees Celsius when I was out cycling, but the helmet provided great ventilation for my head. Very impressed with the Mojito - and it actually looks fantastic too.

So, how's your helmet coping in the current heat in the UK?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I noticed that Sky went back to their Mojotos earlier in the tour when it was hot. Must be cooler than the new one then ?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Got rid of my Protone as being not very comfy and a bit hot. Mojito is lovely.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    oxoman wrote:
    My Lazer O2 is pretty good in this weather, just wish it had bug mesh.

Ditto my Lazer Genesis - super airy.

Going to give it a proper workout this afternoon, probably in the peak of the heat at about 4pm :shock:

Agreed on the bug nets, really like them, Rudy have them in their range, or some of them at least.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Giro Atmos was very light and well ventilated. My son bought it off me and I replaced it with an Ionos; not sure it;s as good...
  • fenix
    Got rid of my Protone as being not very comfy and a bit hot. Mojito is lovely.

Like Sky did in the mountains then !
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    My helmet can get a bit sweaty and whiffy in the heat.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I'm having no issues with my Evade
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    My TT helmet has taped up vents but it wasn't that bad on Sunday. Old Kask K10 isn't bad. For ventilation, you can't beat no helmet.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've always thought that my Specialized S-Works Prevail was fantastic in the ventilation department and it's certainly the best helmet that I have ever used even if it does have the oft referred to mushroom effect on my noggin. As to the OP saying that his Mojito 'actually looks fantastic too', it's a personal opinion but I have trouble believing that particular statement - not because it's a Mojito but simply because I hold the view that no helmet looks that good or, indeed, anywhere near it. To me, they are just a necessary evil.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BrandonA wrote:
    I'm having no issues with my Evade

If I keep moving my Evade seems to be fine and I don't feel too cooked but I had to stop at some temp traffic lights a few days ago and it were as though someone had poured a bottle of water through one of the vents. Lots of sweat began to pour out from under the rim and onto the inside of my shades. I think I may need to return to my old Atmos until it cools down a bit. And certainly no TT helmet usage for now!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I'm polishing mine before i go out.
  • fenix
    I think most helmets are good when you're moving. But in this heat 30 degrees - when you stop at lights or whatever - sweat would be pouring off you helmet or not...
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    You would have thought that some techie bod can come up with a helmet cooling device that is solar-powered for Summer use...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Chafed.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Protone works well for me. very nice.
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    +1 for the Mojito, although with a cap on my head tends to cook anyway!
  • rank_amateur
    rank_amateur Posts: 117
    I always ride with a cap under my helmet - mainly as a bug stopper but the peak is handy to flip up and down depending on where the sun is and, on days like today, I soak it under the cold tap before I set off or if I stop for a coffee - lovely.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    MET Sine Thesis works well for me. Great venting and gel (not material covered) pads which don't soak up sweat.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    I'm polishing mine before i go out.

I polished mine when I got back.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I didn't wear mine today for the first time in years and it was lovely!
  • Anonymous
    Rigga wrote:
    I didn't wear mine today for the first time in years and it was lovely!

:shock:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Giro Foray, would have been simpler to pour a bucket of water over my head, I know I should have spotted it since I wasnt that cold over the winter with it, but absolutely melted with it in this heat.

fortunately Ive got a Lazer Genesis backup to swap too, which I know is alot cooler in comparison.
  • Anonymous
    edited July 2016
    I thought I was all set up for the sun/heat yesterday, mesh base layer, Prizm EV Zeros, cool black bib shorts, 4x cooler Podium water bottles, and very vented helmet.

Stupidly just realized it was the black helmet I wore, and not the white one that I specifically bought for hot sunny Spain (and the two days its hot here) :oops:

Oh dear, will have to go out again today in the white one :P
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    MET Stradivarius feels like it's not there - I only hope it feels like it is there if I ever fall off on it
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,256
    Giro Synthe was better than I expected last night. Not noticeably hotter than my old Ionos.