Oakley Jawbreaker Prizms

BobaFett13
BobaFett13 Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm pondering these glasses.

They have great coverage but very 'retro' looking and with a large price tag.

My question is...are the really all that?

Prizm lenses - are they low-light lenses or sunglasses?

Can you get the frames in plain white or red rather than all sorts or crazy mixed up colours?

can they be worn off the bike?

Comments

• riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I personally love mine and the prizm lens is great but not an off the bike pair for me.

I'd suggest you go find a shop that sells them and try a pair on
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I have Jawbreakers but not with the Prism lenses, after trying a pair I wish I had forked out the extra for a pair, the clarity and improved vision is fantastic IMO.

I like the funky colours personally but wish they did blue and yellow to match my club kit.

Definitely not to be worn off the bike unless you belong to an 80's hip hop group.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    BobaFett13 wrote:

Can you get the frames in plain white or red rather than all sorts or crazy mixed up colours?

How about the Radar EV if you want white and red frames? Personally I didn't but they've grown on me.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Love my Oakleys - but not keen on the Jawbreaker. They're so funky looking that they are only of use on the bike - Radars etc don't look that weird and you could get away with them other places.

I have tried the Prizm lenses and I couldn't tell any difference from my standard dark oakley lens. If they were good I'd have bought them - but I had both glasses there - and to my eyes - absolutely the same.

I'd look elsewhere - or at least try some on in a shop. You'll see what I mean.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    BobaFett13 wrote:

How about the Radar EV if you want white and red frames? Personally I didn't but they've grown on me.

I have the Oakley Radar's with the Prizm trail lenses and black frame, around £85 through Wiggle. Excellent glasses in my opinion and very good in both Sunny and low light conditions, Apparently not to be worn when off the bike, unless you enjoy embarrassing your family like I do... 8)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/05/30/oa ... cavendish/

Personally they are all that. Great lens.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    BobaFett13 wrote:

I have the Oakley Radar's with the Prizm trail lenses and black frame, around £85 through Wiggle. Excellent glasses in my opinion and very good in both Sunny and low light conditions, Apparently not to be worn when off the bike, unless you enjoy embarrassing your family like I do... 8)

I really wanted those frames with the Road lenses. Of course you can customize everything on the Oakley site but then pay far far more. Shame they don't go more options as standard.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I have a pair of Prizm Road Radarlocks, so although I can't comment on the Jawbreakers themselves I can vouch for the prism lens.

I'm not sure if their hype about being able to pick out the road surface better than without them, but it does seem to be a very good general use lens compared to the (cheaper) sunglasses I've used before.
    I would say they definitely are designed more for sunny conditions, but they don't block so much light that when it is overcast or under cover you can still see fine (they are even OK indoors).
    I happily use mine when it is overcast, although when I know there won't be any sun at all I tend to swap them for the orange lenses instead.

I've tried a sapphire iridium lens and it seems fairly similar brightness wise, although I'd say the prism road lets a touch more light in.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the Jawbreakers. Best glasses I've ever had. Wouldn't recommend trying them on in a shop though, once you look in that mirror you'll probably think "oh, maybe not...." :shock:

Wear them with a helmet on a bike though and they just make great sense. Brilliant field of vision, decent venting and those prizm lenses are the best...just order online, try them on at home, in private, first! 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yep. If you try them on, particularly sans helmet, you will look like a cock. But they are awesome. As is testified by the fact that I still haven't recycled mine.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    For me M2s are better. Got some M2 Prizms for 70 quid from Mantel - awsome