Acceptable stripy bar tape - is such a thing possible?

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited July 2016 in Road general
I need to replace the bar tape on my Peugeot. While the likelihood is I'll just go for black as normal, I briefly thought of getting some red/white/blue striped stuff, to big up its Frenchness (I've made sure all its components are French, and there's too much focus on Italian stuff in classic bike world anyway).

If anyone can post a pic that disproves my theory that any 3-colour tape would look utterly rubbish, please do so!
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Picture of bike will help greatly..
  • ajoten
    I meant tricolor stripes on ANY bike.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nah, it'll look pony.

Maybe have the adhesive bits where you hold the tape down in the tricolour. You know, the bits that you usually replace with insulation tape as they are made of the least sticky thing in the world?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    tricolore insulation tape is good.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes good call on the tricolore insulation tape - if you really want to be a tart google french flag bar ends and get a set of them to match and I'd probably go white bar tape to go with it depending on the other colours on your bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Any bar tape is fine. It is your bicycle.

I have 'Italian tricolore' bar tape on the cut-down bullhorn bars of an old steel (English) fixie.

It was in the shop, it was cheap, I bought it.

I think a French tricolor stripe sounds natty, but I probably betray my age and deep, deep lack of cool even as I type the word 'natty'.

It is your bicycle. It is not for others to judge.

Have fun.
  • ajoten
    Yes of course, it is my judgement of the bike that matters. But liking the look of something in a packet is different to liking how it looks when installed - I was just wondering if anyone had examples to help me envisage the result. Coz I like looking at interesting pics of bikes.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    philbar72 wrote:
    tricolore insulation tape is good.
    where can you buy this? I was thinking of making it from three separate colours but this is better
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    ajoten wrote:
    I need to replace the bar tape on my Peugeot. While the likelihood is I'll just go for black as normal, I briefly thought of getting some red/white/blue striped stuff, to big up its Frenchness (I've made sure all its components are French, and there's too much focus on Italian stuff in classic bike world anyway).

If anyone can post a pic that disproves my theory that any 3-colour tape would look utterly rubbish, please do so!

Alternative ideas:
    https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/207869/
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • ajoten
    Andcp wrote:

Not only an ace thread, but it also has an example of the redwhiteblue concept!

5232276749_83d67900f8_z.jpg
    Андрю
    Alu is real.