Handlebar Upgrade Advice

townes44
townes44 Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I ride a 2013 FSR Stumpjumper Comp 29er, which I bought used last year. I have the bike in the shop now replacing the Avid brakes with Shimano XTR's. Other than that and the pedals, it's stock. The service rep recommended that I upgrade to a wider handlebar to offer more stability/balance. I haven't found much online about recommending this upgrade, so I'm curious if anyone on here can add thoughts on this upgrade. And, if it does add value, any thoughts on which is the best? I'm not too concerned about an overall weight reduction. I'd say I'm probably an intermediate plus level and do a fair amount of downhill and somewhat technical rides in southern California. Thanks!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You'd probably want to fit a shorter stem when fitting a wider bar to keep the reach about the same.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A wider handlebar isn't an upgrade its just different, it may be an upgrade for you on the rides you do, it may not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I have the 2013 Camber comp, I found it a bit cumbersome due to its 29" wheels, I fitted slightly wider bar 720 upto 750 and changed the stem from 90 to 60mm - I tried a 40mm stem but it didn't feel right. Bar was £20 CRC (Full On Funn) and genuine Specialized stems are only £20 from Evans. Personally I'd recommend getting a slightly shorter stem and wider bars then go for a ride and see what feels comfortable width wise and cut bars down - made my bike feel better on twisty single track type stuff but made climbs a bit harder. Just be aware of following the fashion and going too wide and stupidly short stem.

I also changed my Avids for Shimano, that was definitely an upgrade.
  • Not concerned with overall weight reduction, and yet you opted for XTR brakes? Don't get me wrong, I'd bin avids for shimanos the minute they started misbehaving, but probably not for XTRs whilst the rest of the bike was stock!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Its individual preference are the current bars feeling too narrow when you ride if not then don't bother and put the money towards something else on the bike.
  • JGTR
    swod1 wrote:
    Its individual preference are the current bars feeling too narrow when you ride if not then don't bother and put the money towards something else on the bike.

It's not about feeling too narrow, it's about changing the handling, wider bars/shorter stem can improve turning response/feeling.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    JGTR wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

It's not about feeling too narrow, it's about changing the handling, wider bars/shorter stem can improve turning response/feeling.

Change, not improve. An xc racers ideal steering characteristics are very different to an enduro racers ideal.
    It's about what's right for the individual.
  • JGTR
    JGTR wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

Change, not improve. An xc racers ideal steering characteristics are very different to an enduro racers ideal.
    It's about what's right for the individual.

Bollocks, I thought I proof read that reply so that you wouldn't be able to pick holes in it like you do for every thread that is ever posted in here.
  • townes44
    townes44 Posts: 3
    Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone. Is there a recommended brand or type?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    townes44 wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone. Is there a recommended brand or type?

Lots. Pick what you like, everyone will suggest a different one.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • JGTR
    Renthal is a popular brand but there are too many to choose from really, mine cost under £40 for bar and stem but you could easily spend twice that on just a bar. Check out Chain Reaction Cycles
  • Wethers
    Wethers Posts: 9
    Funn Full-On bar and funnduro stem from chainreaction were my choice on my trek fuel. really good price and lots of colour options! As others have said, go wide and cut down later ;)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Renthal Fatbar light - very comfortable, very light and it comes marked for a huge range of cutting down.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er