Massive (new) tyre blowout damage carbon rim

bigsyftw
bigsyftw Posts: 23
edited July 2016 in Road general
I swapped my tyres to Michelin pro 4 endurance which I bought from chainreactioncycles as I'd had a couple of flats recently so thought they'd be a bit stronger.

So second ride out and I've had a massive blowout with no warning what so ever, the tyre came off the rim and got stuck in my mudguard which locked the wheel and has basically worn off the lip on my rim. Basically ruined my expensive carbon wheel.

As you can see the split/hole in the side wall is massive: http://imgur.com/a/a3tvM

What should I do? Contact Michelin? I should add the tyre was new, correctly fitted, correct pressure, nice flat clean road... so miffed that my wheel is knackered I'm sure the tyre was faulty.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Contact CRC, as they are the supplier and your contract is with them. I wouldn't be too hopeful about getting anything other than a replacement tyre though...
  • bigsyftw
    Yeah your probably right... just suck it up I guess.
  • JRA
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    that looks more like damage caused by the tyre being abraded from the outside, the outer surface damage extends beyond the edges of the cut, whereas the inner surface shows no such indication

seems clear either something external cut the tyre causing this, or the tyre deflated for some other reason resulting in the damage

maybe the tube was nipped between rim/bead, it can last a few rides before blowing, i've had this happen myself though fortunately without such unfortunate consequences
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bigsyftw
    It does look like that but I don't think that's the case. It went with such a massive bang that I think the damage is just from how violently it ripped itself apart.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Trying to work out the sequence - did a spoke go meaning the tyre abraded the frame leading to the blowout? Can't see how a tyre would simply fail like that without a prior event.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigsyftw
    There was definitely some snall amount of rubbing but it couldn't been for more that a few seconds as I felt and heard it. I guess there was some kind of split/bulge formed and it rubbed on my mudguard a little. Again it was no more that a few seconds, but I was going quite quick.

It was 100% not rubbing on anything previously on the ride, I'm totally sure about that.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What do you call "correct pressure"?
  • bigsyftw
    A pressure within the bounds of the max stated on the tyre wall.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Maybe you picked up something on the tyre and it's got caught in with the mudguard and caused the damage
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You cannot get carbon rim failure running tubulars, can you?
    I'd be more concerned by asking the wheel manufacturer to comment..... these are or course mainstream wheels are they not as you say expensive.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just a curious - why are you running (or were running) expensive carbon wheels with mudguards?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    sungod wrote:
    that looks more like damage caused by the tyre being abraded from the outside, the outer surface damage extends beyond the edges of the cut, whereas the inner surface shows no such indication

I'd agree; looks like something's scrubbed away at the sidewall to the point of failure, then bang!

Both possibilities have been suggested: something jammed in mudguard or more likely chainstay, or spoke failure meaning the tyre was rubbing the chainstay. You say you were going quite fast and you did feel some rubbing; it wouldn't take many revolutions with something abrasive jammed between tyre and chainstay to weaken the sidewall sufficiently to burst the tyre.

The best you can hope for is a replacement tyre as an act of goodwill, but they'd be justified in saying no because it's clearly not a manufacturing defect.

I just bought a Pro 4 Endurance to replace a Pro 4 SC which picked up a slashed sidewall just 38 miles after being fitted. Never considered going back to the retailer; it was clear that something in the road had sliced the tyre.

I thought the Pro 4 Endurance might be a bit tougher.... :roll: