Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 or Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Aero

markot123
markot123 Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Final stages of buying a new bike and would value people opinions, reviews and suggestion on these two and which they think I should get:
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 (£2369, down from £2699)
9a31e1ab65c6cf59f4834327ba460.jpg

or the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Aero (£2349)
581f3f0687d0ddab7a214de4e9798.jpg

They are basically the same price because the SLX 8.0 currently has a £350 discount. Both are running full Ultegra manual.
The main difference seem to be the frame. I think (correct me if wrong), the SL frame is an older, slightly heavier and slightly less aggressive positioning than the SLX frame.

The SL 9.0 also has slightly heavier but aero wheels. This results in a weight of 6.7kg for the SLX 8.0 and 7.2kg for the SL 9.0.

They both look great, but I slightly prefer the look of the SL 9.0 Aero. All the TdF guys seem to run aero wheels now, so there must be something in it.

My riding takes in a lot of hills (they always say training on what you find hardest). What I’m best at is the fast flat riding and downhill. So I get a good mix of both. I would benefit slightly from the lower weight of the SLX 8.0 on the hills and benefit slightly from the aero of the SL 9.0 the rest of the time.

Basically I know I can’t go wrong here, but it’s a dilemma which is stopping me press “add to cart”, so interested in others opinions.

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    The 2016 CF SLX is a slightly more aero frame than last years CF SLX. It is supposedly a little more comfortable too. The CF SL is based on the previous model CF SLX.

Oddly enough, your choice is between a more aero frame with less aero wheels or a less aero frame with more aero wheels!

If you intend keeping the bike for a few years, why not go for the better CF SLX and look to upgrade to aero wheels in the future. That's what I'd do.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'd go with the SLX (I have an SL), the SL is a great bike but you can always add some more aero wheels down the line if you feel you need them.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I'd go with the SLX (I have an SL), the SL is a great bike but you can always add some more aero wheels down the line if you feel you need them.
    +1
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Get the best quality frame you can and upgrade later get the slx.

You could maybe even manage to sell the wheels that come with it and buy a more aero set of wheels
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    I've gone for the SLX 8.0. Not convinced by the wheels - what do folks make of the Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL WTS wheelset? This review suggests they are nowhere near stiff enough - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... 8-0-50253/
    the wheel deflecting sufficiently to rub on the pads while riding uphill at average intensity, which was a surprise. We opened the calipers up further to prevent it, but it didn’t stop the braking noises

That is the only review I've found with that complaint. I'm thinking of getting some Fulcrum Racing Zero clinchers instead.
  • markot123
    markot123 Posts: 5
    edited July 2016
    Thanks all. Since posting I'd worked out the old SL frame was probably not the one to go for.
  • Robb0 wrote:
    I've gone for the SLX 8.0. Not convinced by the wheels - what do folks make of the Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL WTS wheelset? This review suggests they are nowhere near stiff enough - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... 8-0-50253/
    the wheel deflecting sufficiently to rub on the pads while riding uphill at average intensity, which was a surprise. We opened the calipers up further to prevent it, but it didn’t stop the braking noises

That is the only review I've found with that complaint. I'm thinking of getting some Fulcrum Racing Zero clinchers instead.

The best thing about the Exalith finish on the rims is the stopping power.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markot123 wrote:
    Thanks all. Since posting I'd worked out the old SL frame was probably not the one to go for.
    Sorry, may I ask you why you reached the conclusion SL isn't the frame to go for? Debating as well between an SLX and an SL, must be a bigger difference then weight (150gr lighter and €1'300 more expensive)

Cheers,
    Dorin