Need New wheel set.

Sonny89
Sonny89 Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi chaps,

My rear wheel has got a fair concave in and need a replacement. They are Bontrager select wheels and I'm guessing they are some years old as the bike is a 2006 model.

Any advise on what to buy, I am happy to buy used to cut costs as I am pretty skint. What would be a good choice etc? Is it best to buy a complete wheel set? where to buy and all that.

Any information much appreciated.

Sonny.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    So, we don't have a budget, or any info on you, like your bike, your weight, riding style, preferences...useful stuff like that...
  • Sonny89
    There are also polite ways of asking these things!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sonny89 wrote:
    There are, polite ways of asking these things!
    Stop being so precious, Imposter was actually being helpful and, if you address his points, then we have a chance of helping you. So, what is the budget and what useful info can you tell us about you, like your bike, your weight, riding style, preferences...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    So, we don't have a budget, or any info on you, like your bike, your weight, riding style, preferences...useful stuff like that...

well, Bont Select are cheap wheels, they lasted the OP 10years!!! and he says he is skint - so i m going to take a punt here and say he isnt look to replace with Campag Bora ultra's tubs.

OP get some Mavic Aksium ONEs/Elites or shimano RS11 or 21s from Merlin, CRC or wiggle - just make sure you get the correct freehub, Shimano or Campag.
  • Sonny89
    I'm not trying to bite anyone's head off, just saying is all. I probably should've mentioned my knowledge of bicycle parts and specs isn't vast, and am relatively new to the biking world. So I guess I don't have a riding style as such, I am 5'9" and weigh just under 12 stone I am also 27 years old!

I bought a 2006 Lemond Alpe D'huez from ebay for £170. to me being a newbie to road bikes it feels like a dream and have been taking it out on some nice long rides. I am going for a 70 mile ride on Saturday and don't want the rim to give out on me. I guess my budget is around 100 quid as chea as possible without being a joke and massively heavy, that is why I asked if it would be worth just getting a rear wheel and if that would be possible?

How would a new cheap wheel feel compared to the one I currently have? mamba80 cheers for the pointers, ill check them out.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Sonny.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You've had some interesting responses so far!
    I had a pair of Bontrager Select wheels - really rated them for a sturdy very cheap wheelset - I replaced with a second hand hand built wheelset built by one of the forum members for £100 - so you may get lucky in the classifieds.
    Failing that these should suffice:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-24mm-all ... -wheelset/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs010-c ... ear-wheel/
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-10 ... 56017.html

You could go ebay but you really need to know what you are looking for!
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Might be flogging a nearly new set of Fulcrum Racing 4s if interested (off new bike).
  • Sonny89
    Letap73, thank you very much indeed. Just the sort of thing I have been looking for, sorry to be a pain but do you know if these would be compatible with my bike?

Solboy, how much would you want for them? Also would they fir my bike? It is Lemond Alpe D'huez (2006) with a triple chainring.

Cheers guys.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Hi Sonny, how many gears at the back, and what colour is the bike?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Sonny89 wrote:
    Letap73, thank you very much indeed. Just the sort of thing I have been looking for, sorry to be a pain but do you know if these would be compatible with my bike?

Solboy, how much would you want for them? Also would they fir my bike? It is Lemond Alpe D'huez (2006) with a triple chainring.

Cheers guys.
    Sonny I will send you a PM. Basically the wheels are Shimano 11 Speed compatible so will work with all Shimano 8,9,10 and 11 Speed Cassettes. The Triple chain ring up front is irrelevant.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    solboy10 wrote:
    Sonny89 wrote:

Cheers guys.
    Sonny I will send you a PM. Basically the wheels are Shimano 11 Speed compatible so will work with all Shimano 8,9,10 and 11 Speed Cassettes. The Triple chain ring up front is irrelevant.

Pretty much what Solboy has said - fairly certain your bike is shimano equipped - look at your shifters they should say something like 105 / Ultegra/ Tiagra and count the number of cogs on the back wheel - should be about 9. In which case Solboy's wheels are very much viable and a good option for a good price.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I'm probably as ignorant as you but being a pensioner have 'loads' of money. Could your current wheel be rescued?, re- panning?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    plowmar wrote:
    I'm probably as ignorant as you but being a pensioner have 'loads' of money. Could your current wheel be rescued?, re- panning?

Not really. With most cheap factory wheels it just isn't cost effective/viable to replace the rim (even if you could source something appropriate, inc some of the exotic spokes used) which is why many experienced folks forego a little in bling to go down the handbuilt route so that rebuilds are more straightforward. Then again, you won't get decent handbuilts for the price of an RS501 wheelset.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Last time I was looking for a basic but reliable wheelset, Shimano R501s from Ribble was the cheapest option. Just under £70 the pair IIRC
  • daniel_b
    keef66 wrote:
    Last time I was looking for a basic but reliable wheelset, Shimano R501s from Ribble was the cheapest option. Just under £70 the pair IIRC

I don't think they seem to exist anymore though, and couldn't fathom a direct Shimano replacement.

To the OP - I have some mint Shimano RS30's you can have for £80 delivered if you are interested - have covered less than 500 miles, and on a Sunday best bike for my gf.
    They had an alleged RRP of £200, but I think I picked them up for £130 from Ribble - they are really mint, bike has never been out in the wet, as it's carbon and would melt of course if it had done.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Daniel B wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I don't think they seem to exist anymore though, and couldn't fathom a direct Shimano replacement.

To the OP - I have some mint Shimano RS30's you can have for £80 delivered if you are interested - have covered less than 500 miles, and on a Sunday best bike for my gf.
    They had an alleged RRP of £200, but I think I picked them up for £130 from Ribble - they are really mint, bike has never been out in the wet, as it's carbon and would melt of course if it had done.

They do exist: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-p ... -clincher/

Although your RS30s sound like abetter buy!
  • Sonny89
    Good evening everybody,

So I have the option of buying some Shimano RS30's, used but in great condition. I am just wondering if anyone would know if they would be compatible with my bike. I currently have a 9 speed cassette?

thanks all for your help, it is much appreciated :-)

Sonny.
  • daniel_b
    Sonny89 wrote:
    Good evening everybody,

So I have the option of buying some Shimano RS30's, used but in great condition. I am just wondering if anyone would know if they would be compatible with my bike. I currently have a 9 speed cassette?

thanks all for your help, it is much appreciated :-)

Sonny.

So these wheels are for 10spd, and come with a spacer - would the spacer be for 9spd does anyone know?
    EDIT: A quick google would suggest the spacer is for a 10spd cassette which is actually narrower than a 9spd cassette - so the 9spd should go straight on without any spacers - can anyone confirm?

Ah here we go:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14963574
    You need a spacer to fit a 10sp cassette on Shimano 8/9/10sp wheels as the 10sp cassette is narrower than 8sp or 9sp.

I think that's where the confusion comes from - the assumption is that more gears = wider, less gears = narrower, but (like Gershwin said...) it ain't necessarily so

I would still like someone other than me to confirm though!

Also, do you have a chain whip and cassette tool to change the cassette over?
    Not expensive purchases, but needed if you don't want to pay someone to do it, and will probably cost less than what you would be charged for labour.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18