Shimano RS wheelsets

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
What are the differences between the RS10,11 and 21?
Want a cheap set of wheels for my third bike around the money these can be had for but I can find a comparison of them.
Had 500's before, they were great, 501's less so (I know they are more or less the same)
Bike tends to be my holiday bike so I can go out when on summer holiday before the kids are up. Used for a few hundred miles a year, hence looking at a cheap set. Don't want any flex, currently about 90kg.
Cheers D

Comments

• germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    I can't comment on the 21's but the rs10's have a 20/24 spoke count whereas the rs11's have 16/20.

I have RS11's that came with my Supersix evo and I can get them flexing fairly easily and I'm only 60kg. Plenty of brake rup out of the saddle and the front flexes on rough surfaces. I preferred the 500's I had on my old bike.
  • I bought a set of RS11s a couple of years ago as an upgrade for a cheap bike. They were fairly new on the market at the time & as I understand it, differed from the RS10s only by being 11-speed compatible. They're supplied with a spacer for 10-speed cassettes. I'm a bit of a fat bastard but thought they seemed pretty stiff.

RS21s are next up the food chain, I'd expect them to be a bit lighter/stiffer/better quality materials.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    I have some mint, sub 500 mile white RS30's for sale, if it's of any interest drop me a pm.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would probably plump for some Fulcrum 7lg. Nice and wide, look ok and offer "bombproof" performance for bigger riders. The lower end Shimano wheels are getting a bit left behind by Fulcrum and look in desperate need of an overhaul and better market differentiation.