I hit a dog today...

ItsBenji
ItsBenji Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I was riding down a narrow path at 12-15mph on my mountain bike and a small white dog ran out of the bushes in front of me. I was riding no handed at the time as I was using my phone to catch Pokemon on Pokemon Go. The path was for both cyclists and dog walkers. I tried to serve around the dog and brake but it was too late and I ended up hitting it square on with my front wheel followed by my back wheel. All my weight crushed the side of the dog in it's ribs. I managed to stay on my bike and didn't get hurt myself. The dog squealed loudly and ran off down the path barking - clearly in pain. I stopped immediately and apologised to the owners who said it wasn't my fault. I then cycled off whilst the owners were trying to chase their fleeing dog who was obviously scared and hurt. I feel guilty about the collision even though I couldn't have prevented it. My questions are: Who was at fault, me or the owners (or dog)? Should I have given the owners any details or was riding off the right thing to do after apologising? Has this happened to anyone else? I hope the dog is well however judging by the impact of the collision I fear that it won't make a full recovery. At least the crash wasn't fatal.

Comments

• StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    You were riding no handed playing pokemon.. do you really need to ask?

If the answer is yes, you... you were at fault.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You were riding no handed playing pokemon.. do you really need to ask?

If the answer is yes, you... you were at fault.

Ha ha my thoughts exactly. You could argue dog should have been under control but you were not paying attention or in control of your bike.

But it's hardly crime of the century, we all do it and just one of those things.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You joined and posted a story in Buying Advice about being an idiot.

Are you Cody?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:

Are you Cody?

No. Firstly he was riding a bike and secondly, no mention of his imaginary friends.

He is an idiot for playing pokemon and the accident was entirely his fault for riding no handed.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Accidents happen... We do all get distracted at times, and dogs go off the lead in public parks and their movements can't be anticipated.

But... You weren't just distracted, you were otherwise engaged in a foolish activity (do you want to cycle or play games? And Pokermon... Come on!)

So at the end of the day the causes were probably 50/50... But, had you have had proper control you could have likely avoided this sorry incident altogether. Perhaps!? Accidents DO happen, but with experience we can learn to try and avoid then, whether we're in the right or wrong.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    this is the best story I've head in ages
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Are you Cody?

No. Firstly he was riding a bike and secondly, no mention of his imaginary friends.

He is an idiot for playing pokemon and the accident was entirely his fault for riding no handed.

Cody's sister perhaps? The manly one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Our dog is such a massive part of our family. Hitting my dog with your bike whilst not paying attention is 'almost' as bad as crashing into my Daughter and injuring her. Pay more attention and stop riding with no hands whilst looking at your bloody phone.
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strawman?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Trolling.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Who?
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • jimnm
    jimnm Posts: 29
    Poor dog
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Are you Cody?

Cody's sister perhaps? The manly one.

I hear she has a strange odour of salmon fish
  • I'm assuming this is a wind up?

Hypothetically, if someone playing on a phone whilst riding non handed hit me / my dog / my family / my property then I'd go absolutley ballistic.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Was the dog chasing pokemons too?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Jumping out of nowhere for no apparent reason is only attributed to pokemon chasing these days
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • This reminds me last year on my way to work. On my work car park entrance there was a rat nibbling on something next to a speed hump. I was going to a bike shed in the car park. I saw a rat there and I purposely drove my front wheel on the vermin. Lmfao. It survived and ran away.
  • rockmonkeysc
    This should be moved to the crud catcher as an ongoing thread for tales of violence against animals. Like the time I punched an alpaca to the ground for spilling my pint.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm assuming this is a wind up?

Hypothetically, if someone playing on a phone whilst riding non handed hit me / my dog / my family / my property then I'd Punch their lights out.
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    Troll post, 15mph no handed down a narrow trail? my ass, your fault why were you playing Pokemon Go are you 12 years old? get a life
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    This should be moved to the crud catcher as an ongoing thread for tales of violence against animals. Like the time I punched an alpaca to the ground for spilling my pint.

Guanaco over that again?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er