Mavic cosmic pro V Reynolds strike

Tricker22
Tricker22 Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking at buying the canyon aeroad but am unsure with wheels to go for the mavic cosmic pro Carbon exalith wts or the Reynolds strike carbon clincher
The Reynolds would cost a extra £250
Would love to no people's opinions on the to and with you think are best
Has anyone had eva of them

Comments

• wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    I have the aeroad with mavics but have only covered 20 miles - literally just got it. One thing I will say is the mavics squeal like a banshee under moderate breaking, very high pitched noise.

The brake pads I can literally see wearing away, after the ride there were lots of tiny pieces of rubber around the brake so not sure how long they will last.
  • Tricker22
    I have read that about the brakes apparently they get better
    What do you think of the bike are you pleased with it
    How long did it take to be delivered
    May I ask what size you when for and your hight
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I only ride reynolds i would go for them higher weight limit and stringer and not only that spares and spokes are far easier to obtain that the joke that is mavic. I waited three months for some spokes to arrive in mallorca. Never again. On my fourth set of reynolds and never had an issue. Brakes dont squeal either and once that exalith starts fading off irregularly it looks really untidy
  • wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    The bike is an absolute stunner to look at no doubt about that. The bike arrived within 12 days so again fantastic, unfortunately it has a number of defects as you may have seen from my thread on the board.

Went for medium, I'm 5ft 11
  • Tricker22
    I see the pictures of the defects that's not good I do hope your get it sorted and it's just a one of
    I am 5,10 and have gone for a small I hope I was right
    The medium is the same as my giant tcr with is bit long in the top tube
    One of my main concerns with the Reynolds is the 62mm depth as we get a lot on wind being by the coast
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    wayneabs wrote:
    I have the aeroad with mavics but have only covered 20 miles - literally just got it. One thing I will say is the mavics squeal like a banshee under moderate breaking, very high pitched noise.

The brake pads I can literally see wearing away, after the ride there were lots of tiny pieces of rubber around the brake so not sure how long they will last.

The Exalith pads need to be toed in properly which I expect they don't do correctly when they put the bikes together at Canyon. Loosen the shoes, place a credit card under the rear of the pad, hold the brake levers down and tighten the shoes again. The pads will also wear down a bit then settle. I get a year out of mine.

@ mallorcajeff - I had a pair of 2014 Attacks and I'm sorry but they were awful and were sold on very quickly. Exalith 2 braking is in a totally different league and if you look after your wheels they'll look as good as new for years like my RSYS SLR's that were bought in late 2013, have done thousands and thousands of miles and don't have a single wear mark on the rims. From a purely aesthetic perspective the Cosmic's look good but so do the modern Reynolds now that they got rid of those gaudy big swooshy white decals and went stealth.