Stem Calculator

am7
am7 Posts: 59
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I would like to change my handlebars to wider ones preferably close to 740mm as I am always gripping the sides of my 710mm (25mm rise) handlebar until my pinkie goes numb.
I am satisfied with the way my bike handles (or have gotten used to it) so do not wish to change its handling characteristics. I do not want quicker or slower steering, more or less weight over the front/back.
Stem is a 70mm +7deg affair and I know I will need to use a shorter one with the wider handlebars.
I know these numbers today seem like XC territory but my AM bike is pretty old.
I will buy the stem first, ride for a week, and then get the wider handlebars.
My question is, which of the following should I get:
1) 50mm 20deg rise
2) 50mm 6-7deg rise
3) 50mm 0deg rise
Calculator is here (head angle is 68.5deg (steep I know)):
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
There will be no cups on top of the stem as I do not like that.
Ideal would be to try all 3 but it is not possible so any help appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are already gripping your 710's where you'll grip the 750's (only have an extra 20mm each side), then there is no need to change the stem at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    I would like to change the stem for a shorten one to offset the slower steering from the wider bars. I would like to keep handling the same.
    For a 40mm increase (710->750) there is a 2:1 ratio general rule of thumb. (for every 20mm increase in handlebar width decrease the stem by 10mm) so in my case it's 70mm-20mm=50mm stem
    What the article (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... ars-36350/) doesn't tell you is what rise you should go for when swapping stems which is why am I asking your help.
    For example a 50mm 20deg stem will bring the handlebars to the exact same height they were but reach will be reduced by 24mm, a zero rise stem will reduce the height and reach by 15mm and so on and so forth. Not sure what should I aim for. Any ideas?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are already holding the bars over the ends, I doubt you'll feel much difference in the stering anyway.

I think you are over thinking it. Try it, you can always faff with stems later.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, the wider bar is irrelevant, you'll be holding them in the same place you are now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try just the bars first. If your hands are in the same place there is no effect on steering. You can always buy a stem later if you feel you need it.