Short Legs, Long Torso - Dropper Post Advice

MikeWarner
MikeWarner Posts: 32
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys - not posted here for many years as I've not been riding for a while. I just bought a new Canyon Nerve in medium. My body size is annoying as I have short legs and a long torso, which means I have to ride a medium, but the saddle isn't out of the frame very much - only 170mm from the top of the seat tube to the centre of the seat rails.

I'm after a dropper (with internal routing) and I have limited choice as a result of this. I could go for a RockShox Reverb 100mm dropper, but would rather get one with 125mm. The Crank Bros Highline has a 125mm drop with a 50mm stack, which is 5mm too long. The Reverb with 125mm drop appears even longer. I really like the Highline though.

I'm thinking along the following:
- Just get a 100mm dropper post (Reverb Stealth) and be done with it
- Get the Highline and change my 175mm cranks for 170mm ones (was considering this anyway due to my short legs) to get back that 5mm I need
- Get a saddle with a smaller distance between the rails and the top of the seat so there is a little more post out of the frame

Any thoughts or advice? Anyone know of a decent dropper with a shorter stack height? Which saddles have a lower height from the rails to the top? My old Flite saddle from the early 90s looked like it had about 10mm less overall height, but the reissue of this saddle has changed this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything really marginal can create problems. Just get a 100mm post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have the exact same issue as you, 29" inside leg and 5' 9.5", you need the bigger size for the reach.

I just went for the shorter travel dropper, the time when that 25mm will make any real difference will be very small and it certainly won't be insurmountable. It also means less faffing around and a better chance you can use it on another bike in the future. I find the top tube gets in the way more than the 'not quite as dropped as I'd like it' saddle - but then mine is more a traditional shaped frame where the Nerve has a dropped top tube to help with that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MikeWarner
    MikeWarner Posts: 32
    Cheers. I guess I just like the Highline better. The cable operation seems easier to service and the trigger can be positioned in any direction, so wouldn't need to make a final trigger location choice now (like I would with a reverb) as I may go 1x setup in the future.

Going for a 100mm drop makes sense though.

The Rookie - seems we are the same size in this respect!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have the exact same issue as you, 29" inside leg and 5' 9.5",

Do you live in middle earth?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No.....just the middle of England......perhaps that was the same place in the 19th century - and I am in the middle of the shire counties.....

Sitting down I look quite tall!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    No.....just the middle of England......perhaps that was the same place in the 19th century - and I am in the middle of the shire counties.....

Sitting down I look quite tall!
    This is how I will imagine you forever

Photolautrec.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I blame Chernobyl for my short legs! Although not quite as short as you rookie I find shorts are still a bastard to find!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA