Thinking of a Canyon Ultimate

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I currently have a Focus Cayo Evo which I bought with Wheelbase Cycles online.
I've had a proper bike fit done at my LBS for it but 2 years on I would like another bike.

I'm happy to get another bike fit done of course but as I'm thinking of buying a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX I want to make sure it's the right size...and of course they are online.

I've compared some of the measurements with the geometry figures for both bikes and there are differences in top tube length, seat tube lenght, head tube length, stack height etc.
Although Canyon state their returns policy includes a bike that doesn't fit (returned in 30 days) I would like to try and get it right first time.
My LBS are very good but they do say that it's always a risk buying online which I know is true.

My focus geometry figures can be seen here and my size is M 54cm:
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Focus/ ... -2014/2R66

Canyon geometry for the exact bike I want can be seen here and I think I'll be either a Small or Medium:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultim ... -0-sl.html

My height is just under 175cm/5ft 8.75" and I am very supple so I am able to have a pro rider position.
100mm stem and 42cm bars.

This is my bike (see bottom pic for visual purposes as it's set up is after a proper bike fit was done):
viewtopic.php?t=12975942

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

Comments

• stevenb
    Just found this review:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... 8-0-50253/
    The fact it says the Medium is an equivalent to a 56cm frame is enough for me to know that a small size is what I would need. The height/inseam and geometry figures I put to Canyon's online chat person also confirmed a small size is what I would need. Useful to know and this might help others considering a Canyon Ultimate.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ideally you need to find someone nearby who has one and you can sit on it. Where are you based?
  • stevenb
    I am based near Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire.
    That does indeed make sense but isn't practical as a person would need to have exactly the same frameset I need, and in either the small or medium size and live near enough to me.

Luckily Canyon have a returns policy for bikes that don't fit. The Bike Radar report done in March this year would be sufficient for me to know what size I need.
    I was thinking of the SRAM Red model but I think having a separate bar and stem is better for me plus it's really only the frameset I'm wanting but I might just as well buy a whole bike for a few hundred more.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2016
    Your M bike has an ETT of 543 and seat angle of 74, HT of 135

The S Canyon has an ETT of 544 and seat angle of 73.5, HT of 136
    (so looks the closest)

The M Canyon has an ETT of 556 and seat angle of 73.5, HT of 155

You're just under 5ft9. I would have said small in Canyon looking at the dimensions of the bike just from your height.

Looking how S compares to your Focus it confirms that I'd still say get Small. You'll put the saddle forward on the rails a little compared to the Focus to keep its position horizontally behind the BB. You can then run an 11cm stem and you'll be near as damn it the same.

The BB drop is not mentioned on either geometry chart, but seeing as you are running a few spacers on your Focus, if the Canyon were to have more BB drop you'd be ok as you can run less spacers than you do now on it to cancel that out. Of course, if the Canyon has less BB drop you might conversely run more spacers to cancel that out, but it also sounds from the way you are talking that you could go lower. (The chances of any BB drop difference is there, but if it is it's likely to only be 5mm, or 10mm if one bike's is unusually high and the other one's unusually low).

Just do your own double check that I have read the charts correctly.
  • stevenb
    Just got a 10mm spacer on my Focus headset. Had the steerer tube cut to size.
    Reading the figures more does show the Small to be closest indeed.
    Thanks for your help.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Oh yeah, I only saw the photo on the top of your thread. All good I reckon. If you had no spacers you always have to be more wary in case of a low BB on a new bike you see, but in your case if it was lower (more BB drop, lower down I mean) you'll just run less total spacers. When things get tight you have to start thinking of headset top-cap heights and all sorts, but this all looks pretty straightforward as a choice and you have a bit of tolerance for peace of mind that you'll get the same position.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I dont have time to explain at length but as an owner of four canyons you want a small. I have a med and a 54 in ultimates and the new aeroads. They do come up slightly longer. Order a small return it if you dont think its right but it will be.
  • stevenb
    Thanks.
    Sticking my Focus for now though but at least I know if I change my mind again.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Same height as you - small is spot on.