Are 530g tyres too heavy for my use

legalbiker
legalbiker Posts: 14
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, please can someone advise me on tyres. I ride occasionally in town, some weekend rides including parks and riversides and a few times a year longer 50m+ rides.

I have a Whyte hybrid and I'm inching towards getting Durano Plus wired tyres 28c. They have been well reviewed but my only concern is their approximate 530g weight. (I would have preferred the lighter folding tyre but they don't seem to be available in 28cc.) I am not a fast cyclist, I average about 12-14mph on longer rides, though I also don't like a bike with a drag. I splashed out on the Whyte for its light weight.

My question is whether with the type of bike, rides and speed I usually do I will feel any difference in 'roll', speed, grip or comfort from my choice of tyre over say some 300g tyres out there?

Many thanks.

Comments

• jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    How about the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Folding in 28mm
  • legalbiker
    Thank you. I went for the Durano Plus for the anti-puncture reputation but I don't want to make too great a sacrifice, hence my question.

On the Continental, they come in Vectran and Duraskin versions. Which do you have in mind?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I used 28 mm Durano plus last winter. No punctures, fine for commuting. I put on some folding 28mm Schwalbe Ones for the summer. They are much faster tyres, and a pleasure to ride. I have had a few punctures though. I would say that if you're not interested in riding fast, but are worried about punctures, get the Duranos, though they are slick, maybe not ideal for muddy riversides or park trails?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    I think its the vectran i have. I ve been using for about a year to commute on hybrid i ve had two punctures but i was probably at fault for both by not being careful enough
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've run 25mm GP 4 Seasons on my winter bike for 9 years and found them pretty puncture proof. Cheap no, but puncture proof yes. Good grip in the cold and wet too. The trade-off is that they wear relatively quickly.

To clarify the confusion re Vectran / Duraskin: According to the Conti website they use a double layer of Vectran as the puncture protection belt and Duraskin reinforcement of the sidewalls.

So no, they do not come in different types.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    legalbiker wrote:
    Hi, please can someone advise me on tyres. I ride occasionally in town, some weekend rides including parks and riversides and a few times a year longer 50m+ rides.

I have a Whyte hybrid and I'm inching towards getting Durano Plus wired tyres 28c. They have been well reviewed but my only concern is their approximate 530g weight. (I would have preferred the lighter folding tyre but they don't seem to be available in 28cc.) I am not a fast cyclist, I average about 12-14mph on longer rides, though I also don't like a bike with a drag. I splashed out on the Whyte for its light weight.

My question is whether with the type of bike, rides and speed I usually do I will feel any difference in 'roll', speed, grip or comfort from my choice of tyre over say some 300g tyres out there?

Many thanks.

I ride Durano plus tyres in the winter. I've never punctured, and they are hard wearing. But as you say, they are heavy, and I can feel the difference when I move to a modestly decent race tyre. So, depends what you prioritize. Some like Conti GP4 seasons, some like Michelin Pro4 endurance as faster but still with some protection.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Try the Vittoria Randonuer Pro in 28mm, 400grams, good P* protection, good reviews
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    At that speed weight is not really an issue. I'd go with the duranos.

I should clarify - speed is not the issue, acceleration might be if you're blasting away from lights a lot and so on - I'm assuming you're not, so you probably wont feel the weight anyway. They are nice tyres in my experience
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Can you go to a wider tyre? If so you might like the 32c Vittoria Voyager Hyper, which will almost certainly give a nicer ride and which is only 350g. I've been using the 38c version on my winter/touring bike and I've been very pleased with them. If not then the Vittoria Voyager might be a good choice.
  • legalbiker
    What is essentially the difference and the pros and cons of wider vs narrow tyres with the 700 Road tyres?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    legalbiker wrote:
    What is essentially the difference and the pros and cons of wider vs narrow tyres with the 700 Road tyres?

Wider tyres give a bit smoother ride because you can run them at lower pressures. They can also be a little faster over rough roads. Narrow tyres are lighter (generally) and more aerodynamic (generally), so better for racing or riding fast.