Ruined Bib Shorts?

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I had a pair of bib shorts in storage for a long time, but in a cool, dry and dark place. Now that I have them back, most of the surface has completely worn off. It's hard to explain, but it's the surface that gives the shorts a slight shine. I can easily rub the remainder off.
The short is now almost completely see through, and therefore useless. It sucks, because in terms of mileage, they're almost new, and the matching jersey is still pristine. Is there a way I can restore the surface? Otherwise they'll be relegated to turbo training, but I don't want to have to buy a turbo trainer because of this.

I can try and post a photo later, if it's not clear what I mean.

cheers

edit: sorry. i meant to post this in Road General.
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• SCR Pedro wrote:
    Otherwise they'll be relegated to turbo training, but I don't want to have to buy a turbo trainer because of this.

Sorry I can't answer your question for sure but I would be amazed if you could resurface shorts that had gone see through. I have to ask though are you seriously contemplating buying a turbo just to get some use out of a pair of shorts?
  • SCR Pedro
    Well, I haven't been on a turbo trainer for years, and have no plans to do so anytime soon! I suppose instead, the shorts could be used underneath unpadded tights in the winter.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Or you could just bin them, buy some new ones and move on? I'm struggling with why you would put bib shorts into storage...
  • SCR Pedro
    living abroad, having no bike.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Just buy a new pair? The ammounf gear ive binned over the years its all consumable.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I relegate my old bibs for use on the turbo or under tights - now I have about 5 pairs all fulfilling this duty - I really need to throw some out but the pads are all in good nick and I hate wasting something that has life left in it :oops: :oops:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • How tight can you get? Clothes wear out its a fact of life. Just wear them as underpants or something if you want your monies worth.Then you can have tight trousers to go with your tight arse. :D
  • SCR Pedro
    It's not about money. Nobody makes this short any more, so now I have a mismatched jersey.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Just get a new black pair, any jersey will go fine with them.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You could spray your nether regions and the top of your legs black, then it wouldn't matter if your shorts are see through.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Webboo wrote:
    You could spray your nether regions and the top of your legs black, then it wouldn't matter if your shorts are see through.

Either this or use a permanent marker.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    how long is a long time? What on earth happened to them...?
  • SCR Pedro
    apreading wrote:
    how long is a long time? What on earth happened to them...?

I have no idea what happened. It looks like normal wear and tear from decades of use, even if they hadn't seen the light of day for years. It's kinda weird, though, that the surface would just disintegrate like that.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I don't suppose the storage unit manager is a keen cyclist by any chance??!! :D

Peter

PS The only thing I can think that may have happened is if they were washed including a fabric conditioner before placing in storage. It seems to break down lycra. If not that, it must be some form of chemical reaction to something in the package.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    JUst save them for under shorts for winter then. And treat yourself to new ones.
  • SCR Pedro
    Conditioner! That could well be what's done it. I feel a small-claims case against Unilever coming on. With my large cash settelment, I'll buy a new pair for sure.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...