Scott Addict build, 105 or Ultegra?

Ackie
Ackie Posts: 22
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Got hold of a lovely 2014 Scott Addict 10 frameset.
Budget constraints mean I can only go to shimano 105.
Should I wait and save up for Ultegra, or just spend it on nicer wheels?

Comments

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I've had Ultegra 6800, Dura Ace 9001 and on my current build I went for 105 5800.
    I'm blown away at just how good 105 11 speed is - if i was blindfolded i probably couldn't tell the difference between all 3!!

Its more than good enough for me. Ive been running it for 6 months without so much as one bad shift - everything feels light and smooth, it is a big jump up from 105 5700.

Save the money and use it for nicer wheels - thats whats next on my list! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you considered Sram? They are usually much lighter than the shimano price equivalent and considering you're building an addict I would think you wouldctry and keep it as light as possible
  • Ackie
    Ackie Posts: 22
    Thanks for the replies.
    Good to hear real world feedback regarding the performance of 105. I'm definitely leaning that way now.
    You are right the Addict does cry out for a nice lightweight build. Hence my deliberation. Sub 7kg quite possible without too much spending...?
    I would try SRAM but have a 105 Stages Powermeter so I wouldn't want to lose the ability to use it on my Scott.
  • Anonymous
    Ackie wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Good to hear real world feedback regarding the performance of 105. I'm definitely leaning that way now.
    You are right the Addict does cry out for a nice lightweight build. Hence my deliberation. Sub 7kg quite possible without too much spending...?
    I would try SRAM but have a 105 Stages Powermeter so I wouldn't want to lose the ability to use it on my Scott.

Thats ok. You could keep the chainset 105 and change the rest to sram.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why don't you source 6800 used? Usually goes for the same price as new 5800.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Mantel do Sram rival without chainset for just under £260. You can pick up a 105 chainset for about £70

https://www.mantel.com/uk/sram-rival-22 ... NzdGFydDE=
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Id get a used groupset and the best you can afford. I had a addict and put thousands of miles on it and regret selling it was best bike i had. Got it to 6.4 kg with 50mm wheels on it. Stunning ride too. Id get a used groupset and do it justice. Sram red would be nice ;-)
  • Anonymous
    There a used Force 22 groupset on the classifieds here for cheap.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Used is a bit of a lottery - how 'used' is used? Why risk a group-set that may have 000s of ks on when you can afford brand new, decent modern 105?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I was "forced" back into Shimano cos it was on my Six. I run SLX (etc) on my flat bar.

I'm considering a SuperX with 105 (but really it's Cannondale SI, RS685 and only 105 mechs).

I am a SRAM fanboy.

I might not go back to SRAM. Both 105 and Ultegra are super. 105 is just as good IMO as Ultegra in most areas.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.