Are these wheels worth it?

bomster
bomster Posts: 202
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Considering going to pick up some carbon wheels tonight from someone locally.

Here are the facts:
- 50mm Chinese Carbon Rims
- Novatec hubs
- Aero spokes
- Claimed 200 miles of use
- Ultegra 11spd cassette (brand new, looks it in the pics too)
- tyres and tubes fitted
- £270

I will give them a good check over: no cracks, no loose spokes, no brake track wear.

Ignoring the whole Chinese wheels debate, are these worth the money?

Would appreciate people opinions.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems good value to me. Do you trust the seller?

If they are very old and V shaped probably not worth it. Otherwise, a good buy.
  • bomster
    coriordan wrote:
    Seems good value to me. Do you trust the seller?

If they are very old and V shaped probably not worth it. Otherwise, a good buy.

Seller seems pretty genuine to me. They are U-shaped.

Cheers for the response. Does anyone have any advice on particular things to look for wear wise (other than I stated in OP).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Trueness, any rust (I have cheap ones where the spokes are rusty) scratches on the braking surface, would be good to take them for a quick ride to check no creaking (I have cheap ones and they creak like crazy)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    bomster wrote:

I don't see how anyone can answer the "are these worth the money" question without factoring in the Chinese wheels debate. One of the wheels' main features is the rim, which is apparently a complete unknown quantity in this case, merely "Chinese carbon rims". If the rim is completely rubbish and the brake track wears out in 50 miles time or the carbon delaminates then you are left with having spent £270 on a pile of components that probably are not worth £270...then again, the rims could be great so you will get a good bargain. No one can advise much more either way, as far as I can see.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bomster wrote:
    Considering going to pick up some carbon wheels tonight from someone locally.

Here are the facts:
    - 50mm Chinese Carbon Rims
    - Novatec hubs
    - Aero spokes
    - Claimed 200 miles of use
    - Ultegra 11spd cassette (brand new, looks it in the pics too)
    - tyres and tubes fitted
    - £270

I will give them a good check over: no cracks, no loose spokes, no brake track wear.

Would appreciate people opinions.

The tyres could potentially represent up to 30% of the price, but you haven't mentioned what they are. Or even if they are tubs or clinchers. So without more info, other people's opinions won't really help.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    It also matters if you're convinced by the reasons he or she is selling.
  • bomster
    They are Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks.

I had a good look at the brake track, and it seems in good shape other then a tiny bit that had come away (around 1mm across), so I knocked him down to £250.

Also after riding them for a mile when I get home I noticed the front wheel rubs the brakes at some points, so think they need truing up a touch.

I'm aware that I could still get stung, but they seem like pretty decent wheels so far, they actually flex less than my Rovals.

Might take some photos later so you guys can take a look and see what you think?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    bomster wrote:
    I had a good look at the brake track, and it seems in good shape other then a tiny bit that had come away (around 1mm across)

In that case I wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole. I certainly wouldn't descend at speed in the hills on them. Just my opinion.

PP
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I would get somebody to check the rim if I was you. I bought a pair a few years ago directly from China and used one of the more reputable suppliers. After using them for the summer last year I noticed that the back wheel needed truing so handed them into my LBS. Got a phone call the next day to say that they could not true the wheel as it was in fact the break-track that had started to delaminate. Not by very much and certainly not noticeable by just looking at them but I’m very glad this got spotted in time. They have now been binned.

Not saying that yours would be the same, but only encouraging you to get them checked over.