Road riding.

solidsneek
solidsneek Posts: 57
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hey guys

I have a ROCK RIDER that I got from decathlon a while a go, I love riding along the canal however I have started doing more road riding. Any advice? Is it just a case of go out there be safe on the actual road (not path) and just ride anywhere or plan a route. I did about 5 miles last night and 6 Sunday. Is it worth aiming for about 10 miles and just progress.

I also take a camel back with me for water (and also adds weight) for exercise is there anything particular I should pack?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that distance you don't need food or water, for longer distances (upto about 30 miles) you will probably need fluids.

Ride sensibly, ride to the left but not right in the gutter/verge and take the primary position in the middle of the lane when suitable.

My commute is only 7 miles EW, but I do regular 50+mile rides on road or 30+ off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Road riding is just all wrong. The excitement : danger ratio is just the wrong way around.
    Get yourself on some mountain bike trails and get these crazy ideas out of your system.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I put a limiter on my road bike - having seen that you can spend loads on one of these and that the range of alternatives was huge - I limited by getting a Boardman MX Comp hybrid a couple of years ago and was well pleased with that. Cheap ish and very functional and can do easy trails and canal banks. MTB stays on the rough stuff....well I do sometimes leave the Thetford Forest!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Road riding is just all wrong. The excitement : danger ratio is just the wrong way around.
    Get yourself on some mountain bike trails and get these crazy ideas out of your system.
    Nothing wrong with riding a mountain bike on roads just completed a 70 & 50 miles ride in the last week it's horses for courses then again most of the roads in Devon are more like off road away.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except they have idiots in cars and vans on them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    cooldad wrote:
    Except they have idiots in cars and vans on them.
    Or Tractors
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I do both, I always take water, anything over an hour start thinking about fuel as well as water. If im doing a long ride I'll eat a meal upto an hour before the ride, usually porridge. I'll also take food - flapjack, energy bar, peanut butter sandwich, Snickers etc. You can also use energy drinks such a "Go" which you mix up yourself. Secret is to take on fuel before you need it, drinks are good for this as you can sip them regulary.
  • solidsneek
    solidsneek Posts: 57
    I think water is essential no matter what you are riding. I will hit the trails but sometimes it is just easier for me to grab the bike jump on ride and get back home. I enjoy both. One thing I have found is there are some idiots on the road (and I drive!) makes you appreciate giving other riders more space.
  • oxoman wrote:
    I swing both ways as a few already know, use the mtb for the rough stuff and get a road bike for the road. It's the only way to go.
    I agree, but I got a couple of road Strava PBs the other day riding my mid 90s Marin full sus with big knobbly tyres, which makes me wonder why I spent 4 figures on a lovely full carbon road bike!
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    Use lights - helps staying alive :)
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I don't yet belong to the n+1 brigade, meaning that my hardtail is an all-rounder to me. Good news is that if I do go out with the roadie w@nkers (not really, they're lovely people) they ride pretty casually (in terms of pace, not road sense) so I have no trouble staying with them. It's generally a social affair, as opposed to training, just a nice morning / day out.
    Usually take a camel-pack with me with maybe a banana / cereal bar. Always have a bit of change handy in case I pass anywhere that sells flapjacks, my weakness.

Edit: I meant to add that, should I ever go +1 I'd probably go for a crosser; for me a road bike that will handle some roughish stuff. I'm afraid that I'm not ready to go full-lycra though...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I must admit when I go out with an aim to ride purposefully for fitness reasons I do prefer the lycra options. I was massively sceptical at first, and really don't have the figure for it (what MAMIL does?) but I was bowled over by how much easier it made things when the breeze got up a bit. All that excessive wind resistance from baggy shorts, flappy t-shirt or jacket etc disappears and made out and back routes much more palatable.

OTOH, if I'm cycling just to get somewhere or out with the family and averaging a certain heart rate or MPH doesn't matter to me, clothing isn't really a consideration.

I take water for anything over an hour (but rarely take any sips) and often have an emergency gel stashed somewhere in a bag for anything over a couple of hours (though very rarely use them). Just eat well before and after, and unless you are trying to emulate TDF riders or doing seriously long hours in the saddle you'll be fine.

My only essential when out on the bike would be a phone and some way of resolving a puncture (spare tube, emergency sticky pads, proper puncture repair kit) if there's a possibility I'll be stuck more than a couple of miles from home.

Oh, and lights! Even in the day time a flashing rear light can be helpful, especially as the bright LED ones have quite a powerful output.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • You just need honey.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327

You haven't rode on the right roads !!

Get out of the city and onto the quiet country backroads. Sometimes I dont see one car but lots of cool scenery. It doesnt just have to be about excitement... Road cycling can be nice to chill out and clear your head, or a good workout, or see some nice countryside.

The fittest people I know are all keen road cyclists / triathletes. This is something the young kids forget when pushing their mtb up a small incline.
    tootsie323 wrote:
    I'm afraid that I'm not ready to go full-lycra though...

Don't give 2 hoots what other people think about you. Why should you? To be honest other people don't even notice or even care and will have forgotten about you 5 minutes later.
    I agree, but I got a couple of road Strava PBs the other day riding my mid 90s Marin full sus with big knobbly tyres, which makes me wonder why I spent 4 figures on a lovely full carbon road bike!

Which way was the wind blowing :lol:
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ben@31 wrote:

You haven't rode on the right roads !!

Get out of the city and onto the quiet country backroads. Sometimes I dont see one car but lots of cool scenery. It doesnt just have to be about excitement... Road cycling can be nice to chill out and clear your head, or a good workout, or see some nice countryside.

The fittest people I know are all keen road cyclists / triathletes. This is something the young kids forget when pushing their mtb up a small incline.

I live in rural Somerset. My commute was mainly B roads or unclassified roads. I still got bored stupid.
    I think you underestimate those kids who push up the hills.
    Downhill bikes just won't pedal up hills. I can't find the link now but there's an article about downhil racel training which gave sprinting power figures comparing elite BDS downhill racers against similar level road racers. The downhill racers produced more power for longer while sprinting and by a big margin.
    Dow riders have to sprint on cold legs for three minutes while also fighting a bike on the absolute limit.
    I've seen quick roadies come out on xc rides and get destroyed by a bunch of middle aged enduro riders. Roadies have the fitness but not the muscle to deal with the much greater resistance.