Handlebars: 3T Ergonova Team Carbon v Fizik R1 Cyrano (Bull)

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Has anyone experienced using both of these bars? I'm wavering between the two but struggling to find any shops where I can take a look so will have to take the plunge online.

I'm looking for compact bars with a short reach and drop, carbon and with a flattish section on the tops (though not the very thin aero type bars). I'm also favouring the ergo type sections on the drops rather than the traditional u-shaped bend.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    bartman100 wrote:
    Hi,

Has anyone experienced using both of these bars? I'm wavering between the two but struggling to find any shops where I can take a look so will have to take the plunge online.

I'm looking for compact bars with a short reach and drop, carbon and with a flattish section on the tops (though not the very thin aero type bars). I'm also favouring the ergo type sections on the drops rather than the traditional u-shaped bend.

I have the 3T bars on my Synapse, and find them very comfy indeed, I picked them up as a relative bargain around september last year from CRC for something like £110.

As and when I get another bike I will probably look to source another set, hopefully for something like the same price.
    I also have some Ritchey Carbon Streem bars, and they are very nice, and not dissimilar in shape to the 3T ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I haven't tried them, but it's worth noting that 3T ergonova bars are measured at the end of the bars which taper outwards slightly, so a 44cm is actually 42cm at the hoods. This might be common knowledge, but I didn't know when I bought my aluminium bars.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I've the Fizik R1 carbon bars and they're very comfortable, but the top is round not flat like 3T Ergonova bars, albeit alloy not carbon (I imagine they're same design). The tube on the Fizik is quite chunky though so suit large hands and feel just as comfortable as Ergonova I have on another bike. As for reach and drop, it's shorter on my 3T bars (alloy) but there's not a massive difference between them.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Having looked at the Fizik bars, I see what you mean,m vastly different profile.

@bartman - IF you find a bargain 3T bar, please PM me!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I bought them both to try to decide between them. Both were lovely bars and I think they came in at exactly the same weight. I got a great deal on some Ergonova Ltd's in the end though so went for those (just think of that 20g I saved.....).

A couple of things you could also dwell on are your fondness for internal cable routing as the R1 don't have it but Ergonova do and whether you want a snazzy Garmin mount that fits straight to the stem. You can use the same Barfly one for Fizik and 3T but have to order a new faceplate from 3T in Italy if you want to use it (I did and it's lovely).
  • bartman100
    thanks for all the advice. Can someone just reassure me that the 3T 44cm measurement is from the flared drop one side to the other and not on the top? I usually have 42's but don't want to make an expensive mistake.
  • londoncommuter
    Yes, that's right, go one size down on 3T as they are indeed measured at the flared drops.
  • bartman100
    Yes, that's right, go one size down on 3T as they are indeed measured at the flared drops.
    one size up surely?
  • londoncommuter
    bartman100 wrote:
    one size up surely?

Oops sorry, yes that's what I meant (the exact opposite of what I wrote).
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I had 3t ergo on all my bikes. Only just took mine off as the canyon im riding is intergrated but best bars ive used.