Buying advice needed £3-400 budget.

pullafacial
pullafacial Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

I'm looking at getting my first half decent mountain bike as I would like to try some local trails but I'm massively confused what to go for.

I'm quite short at 5'6" so need something with a small frame.

I've been look at a whistle patwin 1488d as I like the look of it. Although I realise that's not the way I should make my decision, I'm not familiar with what's a respected brand and all the jargon!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    If you have a "cycling inside leg" of ~30", you would probably fit the 18" Voodoo Marassa, like all Halfords hybrids it is reduced by 10% today to £270. Buy it through Topcashback for ~3.15% further discount.

Great bang for the buck bike if you don't need suspension, just swap the tyres for something more spritely.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thank you for your help.

I've looked at the bikes you guys have suggested and also some others that have recommended.

I think I've decided to hit the button on a specialized pitch 650b 2016.

It comes out at 318 or 375 for the pitch sport.

My question is, other than the paintwork is there any difference between the two?

Thanks again
  • Yes I like the Calibre and from what I've read, it's an awes bike for the money.

Problem is there's none in stock with 100 miles from me!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Basic Pitch is horrible. 8 speed, cable discs, pretty nasty fork, bargain bin bits.
    The Sport isn't that much better. Some extra gears, hydraulic brakes. Still not much of a fork.

I'd go for a drive - £20 for petrol and it's still a better deal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools