New cable?

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Went for a 70 Mile ride last week without any problems but today first ride since and cannot change up or down is it time to replace the cable? And how long should a cable last?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably and depends on the cable, conditions, storage (wet/dry) etc.

Stainless last a lot longer than galvanised - not worth buying anything else IMO.

Outers - use Shimano SP41.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowster
    Many thanks it's Internal cabling and Shimano Deore XT SL-M780 shifters I believe,in a scale of one to ten how difficult is it to replace myself lbs normal takes a four days for everything and what cables would I need?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Internal can be a PITA, the key is to change one part of the cabling at a time, so (for example) remove the old inner and insert the new inner, then slide the outer out and use the new inner to guide the new outer in place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Is it definitely the cable?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • snowster
    Not too sure if 100% honest like I said it was fine last week but it will definitely not change gear at the back,I have manual changed gear but as soon as you start to pedal it returns to half way up the cassette?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    See what the cable is doing at the rear as you move the shift lever.

Not sure what 'manually changing gear' means but if you just push the mech back by hand of course it will return when you let go!

With muck cables it will usually shift down OK under the lever force but not shift back up.

Sounds like the cable is no longer attached, either come loose or snapped or the outer cable has come out of a stop.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.