Putting a Ridley XFire on a diet

On_What
On_What Posts: 516
edited September 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi all, I was a little disappointed when I put my 52cm Ridley on the scales recently - creeping past 9.5kg. I use this bike for CX, commuting and Road Rides.

I am looking for options on losing weight off the bike, currently I use it day to day with a set of Fulcrum DB CX wheels and Gatorskins. In CX mode I use Vittorias and Kinesis CXD which sheds some 500g. I am looking at the rest of the bike with standard 4ZA finishing kit, 105 and BB7s and wondering where else I could lose weight without huge expense.

Maybe I should of gone for the canti version! All suggestions appreciated :|

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Sub 10 Kg is not bad for a disc cross bike... my X-Ride is about the same and I think it's a reasonably light bike. If you get a pair of carbon tubulars you can shed two pounds, but then will you commute on those? You can fit a Dura Ace groupset and shave another pound, but is it worth spending a grand on a groupset to commute?
    You can save half a pound using super light tyres, but then you will puncture twice a week

Leave it alone... I've done the Fred Whitton in less than 8 hours on mine, it's fine...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mototarka
    Mototarka Posts: 31
    Saving weight is expensive, but here's the list
    Switching to 1x saves some weight - derraileur&chainring&cable ~200gr gain and ~70gr loss on bigger cassete; left brifter vs brake lever - 120gr; then BB7's to Spyre SLC saves 150~200gr; then you'll have to take off every part and see its weight : stem, handlebars, seatpost and saddle - standard bits are not light, so let's say each can shave 50gr = 200gr; Titanium QR skewers - 100gr. It's 700gr off already...
  • On_What
    I had a XRide and the XFire is lighter in out the box form. I guess your build is different to the standard Ridley build Ugo? Would you care to post some details of your setup?
  • On_What
    Another option is tubeless, I have tubeless ready rims in the Kinesis CXD and run Vittoria XN/XG depending upon the weather conditions/course.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How heavy are you ? Will a few Gr on the bike make a difference ?

What tools do you take with you ? Do you need them all.

I emptied out my toolbag the other week and had £27 in £1 coins in there - instantly much lighter and richer.
  • On_What
    I don't carry any tools bar tyre levers and a pump. I carry a single inner tube, mobile phone and a wallet. I take on the idea that maintenance will prevent any failures, and if worst case I should get one then I have a mobile. It's worked for the last 5 years. I've only been stranded once with a failed freehub, and no multi tool would of fixed that anyway!

£27 is quite impressive: that's more than I have in my wallet
  • ugo.santalucia
    On_What wrote:
    I had a XRide and the XFire is lighter in out the box form. I guess your build is different to the standard Ridley build Ugo? Would you care to post some details of your setup?

As custom gets, but nothing really light, except the Record Shifters and the Antares saddle... wheels are 1.7-1.8 Kg. This is the 2015 frame with full carbon fork (not the 2016 with alloy steerer)... frame is 1.5 Kg, fork is 450 grams.

Ridley_zpscoe5wwy4.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    On_What wrote:
    Hi all, I was a little disappointed when I put my 52cm Ridley on the scales recently - creeping past 9.5kg. I use this bike for CX, commuting and Road Rides.

Did you have any concerns about the weight before you put it on the scales..?? If not, just keep riding...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you're racing that's quite heavy; I doubt it'd make so much difference in muddy conditions, but in dry conditions a light bike can be much easier to flick over hurdles etc. A 2kg weight saving is going to translate to a little over 2% of your overall weight, which is worth maybe 6-10W on every acceleration, so definitely worth having.

In my experience, the bars, stem, seatpost and saddle can be surprisingly heavy on off-the-shelf bikes. How heavy are your rotors? You can get 85g rotors for less than 10 quid a pair. If you do your research and consider buying decent second-hand kit you can get quite light kit for not a lot of money. My CX bikes are ~7.5kg, and I built them for a little over £1k each.

If you're not racing, I wouldn't worry...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • On_What
    TGOTB wrote:
    If you're racing that's quite heavy; I doubt it'd make so much difference in muddy conditions, but in dry conditions a light bike can be much easier to flick over hurdles etc. A 2kg weight saving is going to translate to a little over 2% of your overall weight, which is worth maybe 6-10W on every acceleration, so definitely worth having.

In my experience, the bars, stem, seatpost and saddle can be surprisingly heavy on off-the-shelf bikes. How heavy are your rotors? You can get 85g rotors for less than 10 quid a pair. If you do your research and consider buying decent second-hand kit you can get quite light kit for not a lot of money. My CX bikes are ~7.5kg, and I built them for a little over £1k each.

I do race, though at best I am a middle of the pack type...

The rotors are the standard avid rotors, sizes are 160F 140R. The saddle has been swapped for a Fizik Arione
  • ugo.santalucia
    On_What wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

I do race, though at best I am a middle of the pack type...

The rotors are the standard avid rotors, sizes are 160F 140R. The saddle has been swapped for a Fizik Arione

Get a pair of hyper light tubular wheels from Farsports... ideal for racing

https://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclocross/38 ... elset.html
  • tgotb

+1. I built my own wheels, using the same hubs and the 50mm version of those rims, and they're pretty much bombproof.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:

+1. I built my own wheels, using the same hubs and the 50mm version of those rims, and they're pretty much bombproof.
    The 50mm rims are down to US $110 now, just ordered four more :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The seatpin on my Ridley is about 4 foot long. I certainly don't use nearly anywhere near that so a carbon pin in a shorter length is probably going to shift a bit. The standard wheels are super heavy and not great.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    On_What wrote:

As custom gets, but nothing really light, except the Record Shifters and the Antares saddle... wheels are 1.7-1.8 Kg. This is the 2015 frame with full carbon fork (not the 2016 with alloy steerer)... frame is 1.5 Kg, fork is 450 grams.

Ridley_zpscoe5wwy4.jpg

Off-topic but what gearing set-up is that? 10spd Record shifters with XT rear mech and 10spd cassette?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Are the forks full carbon? You can save a fair chunk of weight going full carbon if they currently have an alloy steerer. Other than that if your racing I'd rather invest a chunk on some carbon tubs rather than shaving grams from the finishing kit as you get the grip advantage as well as weight.
  • othello wrote:
    On_What wrote:

Ridley_zpscoe5wwy4.jpg

Off-topic but what gearing set-up is that? 10spd Record shifters with XT rear mech and 10spd cassette?

Record 11 shifters with Shimano 9... the cable pull is the same at 2.5 mm... plush levers and cheap spares, the best of both worlds