Moving to full sus - how was it for you?

cdb
cdb Posts: 25
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Am thinking about moving to full suspension. What finally made up your mind? Has it turned out to be what you thought it would? Would you go back to a hard tail?

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I love my full susser but I love to ride my hardtail too, it can't be one or the other in my opinion.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cdb
    Thanks dusk. So if you could only have one bike, which would you choose?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    cdb wrote:

I'd pick my Giant Trance trailbike, just because it can get down everything I can, and I don't need to worry about it not holding up.

When moving from hardtail to FS about a half year ago, I was somewhat concerned about how it would pedal, but after getting used to how the suspension feels, I love it
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cdb wrote:
    Am thinking about moving to full suspension. What finally made up your mind?
    I'd ridden the same bike (well, same frame anyway) as first fully rigid and then as a hardtail for 15 years. My main reason for a new bike was to have disc brakes at last! After a test ride I knew full suss was different enough to be worth a proper go.
    cdb wrote:
    Has it turned out to be what you thought it would?
    I think so. Certainly it's less fatiguing for an old feller like me and I go faster on it than my old bike, although 29" wheels and carbon frame will contribute to that.
    cdb wrote:
    Would you go back to a hard tail?
    Not permanently, but I sill have it and after some TLC will be riding it some more.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My body, which is getting old, takes a bit less of a battering.
    I have quite a few bikes, but for serious or long rides I stick to FS,
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I went from an HT to and FS as my legs were struggling to do all the suspension work as I was getting a bit faster (age has nothing to do with that obviously), I haven't regretted getting a short travel FS, it's rare that it feels like anything but a hardtail (good suspension helps) but I fatigue slower and a lot of my Strava times have improved as an indication, I just find it more fun more of the time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Awesome, never looked back, will never ride a hardtail again!
  • My first FS was a bit meh. I went from a 2009 carrera fury hardtail to a boardman fs team, and it felt rather lazy by comparison, a bit sit up and beg geometry. Not helped by awful oem tyres on the boardman but even after changing them it wasn't all I hoped for. I ended up selling it and buying a cotic soul, and that bike was all it was cracked up to be.

My second FS was a genesis grapil, built up from a frame, and that is what I wanted from a fs. Slightly more down oriented than xc whilst still being capable of both.
  • cdb
    The Rookie wrote:
    it's rare that it feels like anything but a hardtail (good suspension helps)
    Thanks Rookie. I'm very interested in this aspect. I don't like the idea of 'bouncing' down the track. The last thing I want is it to feel spongy. I'm looking at a bike with a Rock Shox Monarch RL.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve/ ... l-6-0.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not great on Monarch specs I'm afraid, how it feels is a combination of the rear suspension and the shock and the Nerve has a decent reputation.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Very competent bikes, the suspension works really well, even at entry level spec, and at the current price it's a serious steal.

I almost bought one last month but ended up with a 29er. At the current price I would most likely have bought the Canyon.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dusk
    cdb wrote:
    I'd probably choose my hardtail if I really had to choose. My full susser is faster in most situations and is technically a better bike but if I'm honest I have more fun on my hardtail. However if I lived somewhere different I might have a different opinion.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JGTR wrote:

^This, and some.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • dusk
    JGTR wrote:

^This, and some.
    I feel you're both missing out, hardtails are rad
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    Rad to the power of gnar?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    dusk wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

^This, and some.

Rode one for long enough, couldn't wait to get out of it, don't want to go back to it.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    dusk wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

^This, and some.

I don't feel I'm missing out, been riding a hard tails since age of 3, albeit with stabilisers and spokey dokeys in the early days. And one of those grips that made motor bike noises, that was cool.

HT or FS, bikes a bike, you ride it, does same job getting from A to B with a smile on your face.Think OP is overthinking things a little bit, yes they are different but same same still.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I miss my old downhill hardtail but unfortunately my back won't let me ride one anymore.
    If I could have any bike but only one (ignoring spinal issues), I'd have a BTR Belter with a Marzocchi 66 ti evo fork. There's nothing quite like a mega slack hardtail on a super gnarly trail.
    I do like my full suspension bike but it's a compromise for me to be able to walk the day after riding.
  • cdb
    Thanks to all for the advice. After weighing it all up, and acknowledging my advancing years, I've ordered a full suspension. Haven't been this excited about a purchase for years!
  • cdb
    Thanks oxoman. Went for the Canyon. It ticked all the boxes, and looked like a fair bargain. And not that it should matter, I think it looks pretty cool too...

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Best thing I ever did, much faster on my fs :D
  • cooldad
    cdb wrote:
    Thanks oxoman. Went for the Canyon. It ticked all the boxes, and looked like a fair bargain. And not that it should matter, I think it looks pretty cool too...

A very good bike, and at that price, a real bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cdb wrote:

You. Are. Going. To. Love. It! :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    In the last 12 years I have gone H/T, F/S, F/S, H/T, F/S, H/T, F/S, 29erH/T, 29erF/S, 26er H/T, 29er H/T. At the moment I keep looking at Fatty F/S in the shops.

In conclusion I know fuck all about it and as long as they have two wheels its all okay.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Angus Young
    stubs wrote:
    In the last 12 years I have gone H/T, F/S, F/S, H/T, F/S, H/T, F/S, 29erH/T, 29erF/S, 26er H/T, 29er H/T. At the moment I keep looking at Fatty F/S in the shops.

In conclusion I know fark all about it and as long as they have two wheels its all okay.

Jesus, make your mind up! :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    :cry:
    stubs wrote:

In conclusion I know fark all about it and as long as they have two wheels its all okay.

Jesus, make your mind up! :)

I keep buying a hard tail then realising why I bought a bouncy bike. I buy a bouncy bike and get all nostalgic about hard tails I need a rigid bike that converts to a 160mm endure bike at the flick of a switch
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    The idea is to keep them all.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    At the moment trying to find the grip limit of the rear end, rear suspension feels weird if you areused at the direct feeling of a ht, it's faster but you need to push more to hit the same fun factor and crash chances raises to the square for every mph you gain :D
    I have ridden a lot of bikes but borrowed ones from friends and extra caution needed so not to wrecked them. I still don't trust my fs to the point to push as hard as my ht although feels faster with almost no effort on safe parts of my local trails
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • My full suss introduction was prompted a while back by winning the WMB Gear of the Year prize. I bought a second hand Ellsworth frame to hang the bits on..
    My wife loves the Ellsworth, refering to it as the armchair..
    Whilst it hasn't had as much/many bearing/bush changes as the ancient Giant NRS she used to ride, it has had a few..The bushes need replacment more often than the tyres..
    I now prefer my cheap (upgraded) Calibre Dooooone fatty, it has all the benefits of a 29er, rolls over anything.. is a highly engaging ride, will out climb/traction my legs.. i.e. the legs give out before the traction, and I've several PBs on it on various surface...
    Don't go full suss, go fat..or at least try a hardtail 27.5+ would be my advice
    8)
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • I can see how people end up going back and forth between setups, when I was wanting to buy my first proper hardtrail I went on a demo day and bought a full suspension bike as I loved the feel of it at speed compared to the hardtail as it easily soaked up bumps. Then I bought the rigid fat bike for winter riding and didn't like riding the 29er any more so this year went for the 29+ hardtail as a compromise for summer riding, it's a very quick bike but at times I do miss the rear suspension when I'm tired and doing a long downhill section.

John