gps cycling computer advice.. please help me !

antoniorunn
antoniorunn Posts: 13
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys!
After riding 2000 km in my brand new bike, I am about to buy a gps integrated bike computer , with the heart rate monitor cadence and speed sensors; to better track and analyse my performances and datas.

after reading thousands of reviews i have here a shortlist to choose from, but i really want some of your advices to help me choose the best deal related to my needs.

The best will be for me GPS UNIT + HRM + CAD SPEED SENSORS. I don't need the gps navigation integrated if for a good price included better! :) but is not a must ! :D:D:D

GARMIN 520 : AROUND 379 USD with AMAZON PRIME, I think is the best one i can get but it's a bit expensive (BUNDLED)
GARMIN 510: I FOUND one at 279 BUNDLE, i Think is the best value
POLAR V650 179 USD INCLUDED HRM and sold separately the cadence and speed sensor around 65$
MAGELLAN CYCLO 315HR 189 USD

Do you guys have tested those? witch one you would recommend ? Any other unit to consider?

thank you
Tony

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have you looked at DC Rainmaker's website? There's a wealth of information on there.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you want full mapping, get the 810. Cheaper and a less imposing size than the 1000. Of the two you mention, they're similar, but the touch screen of the 510 would be my preference over button operation of the 520. The 520 has the advantage of a map background for its bread crumb trail (it isn't full mapping though despite claims) over the 510's breadcrumb trail on a plain background, but with audible and visual turn by turn warnings on the 510, what does it matter? If it were me and the choice was those two, I'd go for the 510 and save some money for other things.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I use the 520 and its navigation is better than just a breadcrumb trail with a map background. It will give you turn by turn directions and the mapping is very good if you replace the standard base map with Openstreetmap tiles (see DC Rainmaker). It also has Garmin Connect, mobile phone connectivity and notifications, Livetrack and Strava integration.

I doubt the 510 touch screen adds any operability advantages and does it work when wet or when you are wearing gloves? IMHO the 520 is a no brainer.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comp ... 60#results - there's 3 of your options compared at DC Rainmaker (for some reason the Mio/Magellan Cyclo range don't appear at Ray's site... could that be down to their perceived lack of market penetration?)

For me it would be between the Garmin Edge 520 (because the 510 is 2 years older in design & I prefer buttons to touch screens for the wet/gloved reasons twotyred mentions) and the Polar V650 and I'd find it hard to go for the Polar considering that Garmin probably represents the largest installed base in the cycling market.
  • StillGoing
    twotyred wrote:
    I use the 520 and its navigation is better than just a breadcrumb trail with a map background. It will give you turn by turn directions and the mapping is very good if you replace the standard base map with Openstreetmap tiles (see DC Rainmaker). It also has Garmin Connect, mobile phone connectivity and notifications, Livetrack and Strava integration.

I doubt the 510 touch screen adds any operability advantages and does it work when wet or when you are wearing gloves? IMHO the 520 is a no brainer.

A touch screen is easier to operate than navigating with buttons. That's why smart phones have adopted the same principle. Yes it does work when wet and when wearing gloves.

All Garmin Edge devices use Garmin Connect, but Garmin Connect is, well shite. The 510 has mobile phone connectivity and will auto upload to Strava etc just the same as a 520. As said, why do you need to know when you've received an email, message or who is ringing you on a ride? If you do and I can't imagine it being an always important facility, just assign a specific ringtone.
  • First of all thank you guys for your help.

I don't really care about Phone connectivity and notification, I would prefer the 520 of course , because it's the newest, but more or less has the same function of the 510 including the live segments which I really like and use for training.

I recently found a good deal from SlaneCycles for the 520 bundle (HRM AND OUTFRONT INCLUDED) FOR 336US.
    do you know if there will be some import duty/taxes? the shop is based in Ireland

I really wanted to give the polar v650 a try and see what are the differences.

As you said the Garmin is the best manufacturer and the most used.

how about the bryton 530 ?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    With the 820 just released to the market place, you may well get a great deal on the 810 model - worth a good look.

Slane Cycles are based in N Ireland, so buying from them would be the same from a tax perspective as any UK store.

Peter
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you don't need phone connectivity and you don't need mapping, then a Garmin 500 with Heart Rate Strap and Speed and Cadence sensors would be cheap and people have been using them for years now.

You should be able to get one really cheap now, s/h people are getting rid of them too as they upgrade to get the things you don't want or just because they fancy having the latest thing.
  • StillGoing
    First of all thank you guys for your help.

I don't really care about Phone connectivity and notification, I would prefer the 520 of course , because it's the newest, but more or less has the same function of the 510 including the live segments which I really like and use for training.

I recently found a good deal from SlaneCycles for the 520 bundle (HRM AND OUTFRONT INCLUDED) FOR 336US.
    do you know if there will be some import duty/taxes? the shop is based in Ireland

I really wanted to give the polar v650 a try and see what are the differences.

As you said the Garmin is the best manufacturer and the most used.

how about the bryton 530 ?

The 510 is the better device IMO just for having touch screen. Just because something is newer, doesn't make it better. If you're happy with pushing buttons rather than having the modern day technology of a touch screen, get the Garmin 500. It will do almost everything you want other than live segments for a lot less money.

See other views on the 520 https://youtu.be/nppVE3YeEdM

For an extra £45 on the price of the 520 deal, you could get the Garmin 820 (£297) which has more data for training use such as Vo2 max and stress score estimates.

The Garmin 810 can be had for just over £200 from Handtec almost £55 cheaper than your 520 deal so enough left to buy the necessary sensors.