Sportive Sunday - 17th July - which to choose

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
Looks to me like there are a lot of sportives going on this Sunday.

I'm interested in some advice on which to choose to do. I'm in training for Ride London and aiming at 70-80m ride this weekend.

If you've got thoughts on any of these, I'd be really grateful to hear them, particularly what the route is like and how well they're run. I know the list isn't exhaustive, I'm just looking for something within striking distance of London. Thanks

Suffolk Spinner
Chiltern Cycling Festival Sportive out of Amersham
Evans Ride It Cambridge Road Sportive from Wimpole Estate
Tour of Cotswolds

Comments

• I'm going to say do the RIDE IT Cambridge one but I guess I'm a bit biased seeing as I'm organising it :-)

It's a nice venue at the National Trust Wimpole Estate and we've got the big outdoor screen showing the latest Tour de France action throughout the afternoon.

Maybe not the ride for you if you want challenging hills though as it's mainly flat or gently rolling terrain.

As Evans are supporting Ride London this year we'll have the clothing there and there's a rider meeting point if you're interested in meeting up and riding with others who are also training for Ride London.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    The cycling festival in Amersham has the potential to be a little more than a gathering in a field followed by a signed ride fuelled by cheap cake and energy bars...

The Tour of the Cotswolds used to be a nice sportive, but these days it is a watered down version, besides, Shipston is quite a way from London... the course is possibly the nicest of the lot you mention though
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    ...Maybe not the ride for you if you want challenging hills though as it's mainly flat or gently rolling terrain...

Thanks, and I take your advice from where it comes!

It was the rolling nature that appealed, in so far as I'd quite like to get the miles under me at a decent pace, rather than worry about hills. I'll look into respective courses.
    ...The Tour of the Cotswolds used to be a nice sportive, but these days it is a watered down version...

Thanks, that was the impression I got, even just from the website.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    If you are worried about hills then I'd avoids the Anersham one.