Does anyone own a Specialized Airnet helmet?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I've had a Giro Savant helmet for about 4 years now and wouldn't mind something new....preferably less mushroom looking and under £100. There are a couple of reviews online which sound promising, but I haven't found much from 'real users', so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who owns one if you are out there. :)

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    If you're not in a rush Spesh occasionally do a helmet offer and accept any lid for a 50% discount against new.

I bought a new s works Prevail in the scheme earlier this year although the new S Works Evade wasn't in the promotion. That said I like placing my eyewear in the vents on a long or wet ride and the Evade isn't designed for that purpose. I think they ran a similar promotion towards the end of the summer last year.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited February 2017
    I don't own an Airnet but did borrow one for a two hour ride when the temperature was in the early 20s and therefore quite warm. I found it to be well ventilated but had the impression that it maybe wasn't quite a good as my usual S-Works Prevail but it's difficult to be certain without a side by side comparison. However, the experience with the Airnet was good enough to prompt me to enquire after one during the last Spesh promotion which, I think, finshed end-May or mid-June but it wasn't included in that particular offer. IMHO, the Airnet looked pretty good (as far as any helmet looks good!) and it certainly wasn't as 'mushroomy' as my Prevail - I just fancied buying one for the occasional change rather than as a full replacement for the Prevail which I love - best ventilated and most comfortable helmet that I have ever owned and I almost forget it's on my head after a while.

Slowmart - Where do you stick your sunnies on the Prevail? I ask because mine just won't take them and I think that's because it's a fairly old (2012) model.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seen an airnet for 75 quid online. Maybe worth checking out if its a sale - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk

If have no experience of it myself but I do own an Evade and my only gripe with it has only ever been ventilation. If the airnet is better at this and is only half as aero then it sounds a decent lid. There are far worse looking helmets out there.
  • prhymeate
    Cheers for the replies. It's nice to hear some opinions outside of a review site. I'm not in a huge rush to buy, but I have had my eye on it for a few months and £75 is the cheapest I've seen it. Plus it is my birthday at the end of the month which is a good excuse.

I've found a store nearby that has a few in stock so I'm going to try and head there this week to try them on for size.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I don't an Airnet but did borrow one for a two hour ride when the temperature was in the early 20s and therefore quite warm. I found it to be well ventilated but had the impression that it maybe wasn't quite a good as my usual S-Works Prevail but it's difficult to be certain without a side by side comparison. However, the experience with the Airnet was good enough to prompt me to enquire after one during the last Spesh promotion which, I think, finshed end-May or mid-June but it wasn't included in that particular offer. IMHO, the Airnet looked pretty good (as far as any helmet looks good!) and it certainly wasn't as 'mushroomy' as my Prevail - I just fancied buying one for the occasional change rather than as a full replacement for the Prevail which I love - best ventilated and most comfortable helmet that I have ever owned and I almost forget it's on my head after a while.

Slowmart - Where do you stick your sunnies on the Prevail? I ask because mine just won't take them and I think that's because it's a fairly old (2012) model.

With the sunglasses upside down in the two vertical vents at the front, that's the Assos glasses, my older and much in need of a refresh Oakley's are more secure in the back vents but I'm not brave enough to try the Assos in that position although I have a cord which attaches to the glasses but I haven't been arsed or concerned enough to sort this properly.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • prhymeate
    I got to try on the airnet at a local store. It fits really nicely and luckily I can wear a medium. In the past, with Giro helmets a medium has been just too small so I own a large that I have to tighten quite a lot.

When looking through the other helmets I picked up the Prevail... I couldn't believe how light it was. Now I'm tempted to wait until the new version comes out later this year. It's the typical bike related purchase...lured into trying one new helmet because it's on sale, and end up pining for one almost twice the price!
  • ayjaycee
    I didn't know that there was a new version of the Prevail due but if it's anything like the one that I own, I doubt you will regret buying it (just don't spend too much time looking at your giant mushroom head in the mirror). It might also mean that there are some bargains to be had with the current version if you shop around.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Only negative thing I've noticed with my Prevail is the high level of wind noise it seems to generate. It also sits quite high on my head. I've got a Giro Synthe which I find noticeably quieter, and is much more low profile. I think this might be a feature of more "aero" helmets.

Was interested to read that the Prevail mk2 has been designed to be lower profile and reduce the wind noise, which Spesh seem to acknowledge was an issue on the mk1. It also looks much more like the Airnet now, but also 10g lighter than the mk1 Prevail! You pays your money....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ayjaycee
    Luv2ride - I can't say that I have ever noticed extra wind noise from the helmet but it does come from elsewhere on occasion! Back to the helmet though - I can only guess that you are a hell of a lot faster than me on the bike to notice it!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • prhymeate
    Yea, I had read about the changes on the new Prevail and they definitely seem worth waiting for. I mean, I've had my last helmet for over 4 years so I don't mind paying a little more than I was planning to considering how much use I get out of it. That said, I really like the look of the airnet, if it didn't feel heavy in comparison to the prevail I'd have no problems buying it. The difference in weight/comfort was quite noticeable when wearing the two though. I think I can hold out until first impressions of the new Prevail start cropping up.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Prhymeate wrote:

Think you can see where the weight saving has been achieved - there's a lot of exposed polystyrene, especially at the back. Given the high price I'd be concerned about damage in transit or storage, let alone out on a ride....I'm sure my Prevail mk1 has more protective layer at the back and over the bits that link the vents....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Mine arrived today - same colours as my new Tarmac :oops:

Fits great, love the look and it comes with a peak which for me is great - no more caps!

Not as well made as my Mojito but not too far off - nice to own something different from the norm.
  • ayjaycee
    I know that it's a while since this thread started but I thought that I would add that I actually bought a Specialized Airnet last week from Evans for £50. Mine was a Medium in light blue and red (my favored option) but I think the price varies between £50 and £100 with different size/colour combinations. As I expected from a previous experience with one, it feels very light and comfy but I have not yet managed to use it in anger due to only just recovering fully from a slipped disc suffered just prior to Christmas. I have targeted this weekend to get back on the bike!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S