Brake Advice Please

Furball1
Furball1 Posts: 9
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I have a Btwin Rockrider 500s full suspension mtb. I want to upgrade the brakes. Ive seen some Shimano BR-M615 hydraulics for £25 for front and £25 for rear. This seems like a good price and the review seem good. Question is, will these fit on the Rockrider or will i need an adapter of some sort. The brakes that are already on the bike are Hayes MX5 mechanical disc brakes. Any help/advice will be greatly appreeciated. THX

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yes they will be a noticeable upgrade.

They should just bolt on to the caliper mounting points, what size discs are you using?
  • Furball1
    Hi thx for reply. I just looked at disks and it say Hayes 160 on both front and back, it also says 7 on each disk. Cheers for help.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    May not be particularly relevant advice as I know I was a numpty at the time of doing it, but.....

.... attaching new hydro brakes to the fork using bolts with blue threadlock felt a little stiff. The I added and removed them a couple of times, and it felt the same each time. However, the third time I added them and screwed them in I felt the same sort of resistance. And then it kept turning and kept turning. Because, like an idiot, I'd misintepreted threadlock resistance for cross threading the bolt (either that or the threads inside the fork were like cheese, which is entirely possible as it was a Suntour cheap fork). So I ended up with brakes which were actually well enough attached (one bolt was fine, and the caliper didn't move around at all - and of course the braking force pulls the caliper towards the disk when it is engaged, so it was unlikely to rip out).

It did mean though that I no longer felt confident to remove the brakes in future, so this ended up being a factor in my decision to buy a new set of forks!!

So whilst you may well not be an idiot like me, I pass the tale on just in case!

(Oh, and you might need to think about the length of the hydro hose - the new brakes might have perfect length hoses on to suit your bike, or they might be very long and you could need to cut them down which whilst not entirely tricky is not perfectly straightforward either!)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Furball1
    Many Thx for the info Larkim, ill bear that in mind. Ive just measured my hoses that are on now, and the new brakes lengths are the same so i shouldnt have to do any shortening of hoses. thx everyone im alot happier with upgrading now. Cheers.