Good all-round tyre combo

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2016 in MTB general
Looking for some new 26" rubber for when I get my Nukeproof Mega build sorted.
Don't really be wanting to swap summer/winter so looking for something that'll work all year round.
Been eyeing up the on-one Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord in the dual compound flavour for £20 each.
Riding is mainly trail centres and a bit of XC & off-piste stuff.
Don't want to spend more than £60 for the pair.
Any other suggestions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on your priorities really.

Nobby Nics both ends would work quite well for that usage. EVO compound (not performance) and folding to keep weight sensible.

The On-one tyres work well but are fairly heavy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    What side wall should I go for?
    Notice they do trailstar, pacestar and verstar - what's the difference?
  • The Rookie
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/triple_star_compound_page

Pacestar both ends or Trailstar front and pacestar rear I'd suggest.

As for sidewall, well as light as you think will be safe for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    They are different compounds. Simply put, Pacestar is the firmest of the three, Trailstar is softer and Vertstar is softer still. Vertstar is really for downhill to give good good. For regular trails, try Trailstar up front for grip and Pacestar in the rear. Or Pacestar for both, it depends what stuff you ride mostly.
    Many happy trails!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    +1 for the snakeskin.
    Many happy trails!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    WTB Vigilante front and Trail Boss rear.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dirkpitt74
    WTB Vigilante front and Trail Boss rear.

What compounds are best on the WTB's?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Tough is properly tough so good for puncture protection but almost too stiff as just occasionally you'll think it feels a little harsh across some surfaces (even with lower pressures - the sidewalls are very stiff) - they work ok on the rear but aren't supple enough for the front. I tend to run a Light on the front and a tough on the rear.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Never liked the schwalbe tires, the knobs torn off way to easily and quite expensive, I would try something from maxxis, HR2 front/rear, good rolling resistance quite tough and reasonable light exo carcass
    onzas ibex are impressive in the dry/loose contitions but winter is far ahead so can't comment how they handle mud
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks guys.
    Think I'm going to give the on-One combo a go - got to be better than my current single compound Conti's.

Thinking of setting them up tubeless (can get tyres and tubeless stuff for the £60) - what flavour fluid is everyone using?
  • The Rookie
    I use the cheap 1litre bottle from on-one - no issues.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Worst I've tried, barbieri
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Stans
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • dirkpitt74