Back on yer 'eads Monday

2»

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    Or marry a similar person to the old Vt... she'd get a better car than her old man.

On the serious side, all sounds sensible and proper, where have all the pushy helicopter parents gone? or is it just me who has to deal with them?
    She doesn't need 2 helicopter parents...and doesn't seem to be a gold digger - yet.

I know she has zero interest in the sort of stuff I do so I'm not going to push it, but then again she's not thought seriously about what she wants to do. This two week stint working at the vets in the summer hols might get her interested in something half decent.

she's far too young to know what to do.

My advice would be get the grades, get the experiences and everything else can fall into place one day
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yeah I know...was just saying the base fees aren't that bad compared to the normal uni fees that I've budgeted for. Don't even know if she wants to go there yet.

Remind her the alternative is marrying someone like, er, Seano. She'll soon make her mind up... :D
    My current Fiancé has a Masters in some gobbledygook or other. Degrees don't improve a woman's taste in men.

I'm sure Stevo would be over the moon to be my father in law. It's still an option :D
    I'm not sure who I'd feel sorry for if that happened :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Flâneur wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    Or marry a similar person to the old Vt... she'd get a better car than her old man.

On the serious side, all sounds sensible and proper, where have all the pushy helicopter parents gone? or is it just me who has to deal with them?
    She doesn't need 2 helicopter parents...and doesn't seem to be a gold digger - yet.

I know she has zero interest in the sort of stuff I do so I'm not going to push it, but then again she's not thought seriously about what she wants to do. This two week stint working at the vets in the summer hols might get her interested in something half decent.

she's far too young to know what to do.

My advice would be get the grades, get the experiences and everything else can fall into place one day
    At present I'd be happy if she would just tidy up after herself...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    On..them?

They...out.
    Are you an attacker or a chopper?

Ultra...topspin.

Bizarrely...I googled him to check his progress, only to find he hadn't played competitively since. Hardly surprising after 6 hours training/practise a day and winning the National championship, merits a cheque for $340.

North American TT was deep into the 'disrupt, disturb, interrupt' style of pimple bat table tennis. There's a famous story of a bunch of American Table Tennis players going into China https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping-pong_diplomacy . This culture was maintained right into the early 90's.
    American TT is behind British TT which is behind European TT which is behind Korea and Japan which is behind China. So where does that leave America? Americans like to think big but it would be better for them to try and emulate Europeans than make that gigantic leap - culturally and technically.
    It is impossible for a dyed in the wool fully fledged TT player to completely start from scratch and rebuild their game. The technical requirements of a top top player have to be ingrained before they are 12 years old and they have to be flawless. Well, it's like a pyramid - wide at the bottom and thin at the top. The basic arts of movement, balance, co-ordination and hand eye co-ordination primarily, then you train the reflex. TT is so fast, 8 out of 10 strokes are reflex. If the reflex is flawed or honed into a different style, then it's very difficult to change what has become ostensibly instinctive (to them).
    The only reason we have 2 or 3 Europeans in the top 20 is because the Chinese emphasise and participate in the World Championships and the Olympics. If they competed in all the major ranked events globally, there would not be a European in the top 50.

If we (the West) ever want to compete at the highest level, we need to adopt the pen hold grip where and when possible. In fact, teach kids to play both styles and see which one wins out. I make my players play left handed and pen hold to improve co-ordination. It's amazing the difference 30 minutes playing with the other hand does to one's hand eye co-ordination.
    I am not allowed to coach pen hold grip and that's the same up and down the country!! But I do, I say f*ck them. A child should be given the opportunity to play both.

Wang Hao, played most of his early life as a shake hands grip. He got to World No.4. His coach advised that he should play pen hold. 2 years later, he was world No.1. This is the intrinsic qualities in Chinese players that provides the basis for such a mind boggling change. Timo Boll is the only European that has competed with the Chinese in recent years but he has had to develop the most complex of wrist actions to mimic the natural flexibility of a pen hold grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOgWS3Ik1s

The culture of adaptation and change is inherent in far Eastern culture and this is reflected in their approach to sport.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!