Making improvements to a bike?

cantaloupe
cantaloupe Posts: 34
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
So I am new to cycling, have been looking at the Giant Defy 0 Aluxx £799

My question is if I buy this bike what improvements can be made to it?

ie can I swap out the brakes for a set of TRP R960's?

can I swap the wheels for DT Swiss RR21 DB Dicut wheelset?

ext......

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just ride it and make improvements to your fitness...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Why not buy a bike that you're happy with?
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    I dont want to improve it right away, I'm thinking future upgrades. how long or how many miles before thinking of upgrading to carbon frame.

I think an alu frame is my best option for a first road bike.

thanks for the input.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I have the same bike. My favourite saddle (SE Flite) plus a set of Conti GP4000s and a brake upgrade to Ultegras were what I changed within the first month.

All made a noticeable difference.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You are new .. Who says a carbon frame is an upgrade?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    If I had my time again I'd make sure my first bike could be transitioned into a great winter bike when you get the bug and buy a new "best bike". If you get a decent aluminium bike that can take 25c tyres with proper mudguards (and has disks if that appeals), you can then relegate it to winter duties.

I imagine the alternative route of replacing bits would could cost you a fortune and you'd still have a bike you're not happy with.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd just ride it until you've saved up enough money for your next bike.

I've had my best bike for about 5 years now and theres nothing around that I could justify spending on.

Ride it and see if there's anything you absolutely can't get on with. Then change that.

I'd not bother with componenents unless they really annoy me or break.

Even when I change from the winter bike to the summer bike I notice the diffeence for about 20 mins, and then it becomes the norm.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ride it. Swap things that make it more comfortable, if needed.

Saying that, good brake pads and tyres are a good thing to swap from the go. No harm in changing to 105 or Ultegra brakes either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nothing wrong with swapping out the wheels/tyres and brakes that come with that bike.
    Manufacturers skimp on these parts so all you are doing is addressing that.

I would get 105 or Ultegra brakes.
    Maybe it needs long reach brake calipers. I would not buy it if it did though.

Saying 'just ride it' does not make much sense.
    Why buy an Ultegra spec bike and not want Ultegra brakes?
    You may as well say "Just get a Claris spec bike and ride that" or "just get any bike from the nearest place that sells bikes and ride that".

If you are spending any time at all choosing a bike then fixing the poor spec is not really a big deal IMO.
    Make sure you do get out and ride it once you have titted around a bit though :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MrB123 wrote:
    Why not buy a bike that you're happy with?

Because they often do not exist unless you are happy with the mismatched parts that most stock bikes have on them to hit a price point.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Ride get fit enjoy, but looking at the bike you seem to get a lot of bang for your buck, Utegra/105 mix at this price (if its the same bike). I'm guessing they have scrimped on the wheelset??? so maybe look at these and tryes. Using michelin pro4's at present with zonda wheelset and all's good