Sell Scotland to me.....

13»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089
    Rather sorry I mentioned cherries now.
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    It was your mention of cherries that spurred me on...
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460
    I think the weather would do it for me. My brother tried to persuade me to go to Thurso for a summer holiday, so I looked up the sunshine hours: 1085 on average for Thurso, 2350 for my normal French haunt, with roughly the same distance to travel. Those sunshine hours are even despite Thurso having days that are over 18 hours long for a chunk if their 'summer'. And I doubt if you'd find locally-grown peaches, nectarines, cherries, apricots, olives and melons in Thurso either...

Thurso is so far North it's unfair to compare the weather up there to daan saaf.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    I think the weather would do it for me. My brother tried to persuade me to go to Thurso for a summer holiday, so I looked up the sunshine hours: 1085 on average for Thurso, 2350 for my normal French haunt, with roughly the same distance to travel. Those sunshine hours are even despite Thurso having days that are over 18 hours long for a chunk if their 'summer'. And I doubt if you'd find locally-grown peaches, nectarines, cherries, apricots, olives and melons in Thurso either...

Thurso is so far North it's unfair to compare the weather up there to daan saaf.
    I come from a land where people think that polar bears roam free north of Birmingham...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'd not go to Thurso for an extended period of time. It's ok but for a holiday? I'd travel around. Probably the northwest coast.

The thing with Scottish weather (and outdoor activities in Scotland) is you have to put the days in. Every so often you get one which is so sublime it's perfect, but they're hard to predict and don't happen that often. Particularly skiing in Scotland - I've had my best days skiing there but also definitely my most miserable.

On the plus side 3 years living in Aberdeen and I find Manchester positively balmy now.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Also I don't mind a bit of wild weather if the scenery suits it.
  • pinno
    Aberdeenshire has it's own unique climate. Probably the best in Scotland but having spent time in Brechin, the east coast can be so damn bitter in winter, the west, so damn wet.
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    Aberdeenshire has it's own unique climate. Probably the best in Scotland but having spent time in Brechin, the east coast can be so damn bitter in winter, the west, so damn wet.
    You'll have to do more than that to tear me away from south east France... I'm not sure you're yet up to working for the Scottish Tourist Board...
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    You'll have to do more than that to tear me away from south east France... I'm not sure you're yet up to working for the Scottish Tourist Board...

You bast4rd. I cannot compete with that. If I could only convince the OH... :roll:
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You bast4rd. I cannot compete with that. If I could only convince the OH
    You'd hate the average daily maximum temperatures of 31C in August.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Non monsieur, c'est pas vrais. Je suis Kenyan.
  • pinno
    ukiboy wrote:
    Crescent wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:
    Scotland...English.

For...you.

Fair...grind.
    Fwiw I popped my cherry with a Scottish girl and she was lovely! Gillian...

You as well?!
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Non monsieur, c'est pas vrais. Je suis Kenyan.
    You'd hate the views...

dsc03733-20150830blog.jpg
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Never had much anti-English feeling since I've lived here. When I lived further north near Perth I lived in a pretty nice area and everyone was ridiculously friendly to the point where my landlord was doing my washing and asking me in for a coffee with the family all the time. Now I live in South Scotland there are lots of English people here anyway, I occasionally get made to feel a bit unwelcome but once they think you're a 'local' they don't care. If they think any less of me for being English they are probably the sort of inbreds you get all over the UK, I can usually brush it off with the slight smug feeling of having been more than 30 miles from my home town more than once in my life...

Anyway, the scenery is stunning, the cycling is world class and work pay me to be here.