Afan.......

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited July 2016 in MTB general
Hi all, going to Porthcawl next week with family, have got a day pass for Afan, what's the best route for a days riding? Blade/Skyline look to have long flat bits so was thinking W2.....sound like a good idea??? Want to keep it fast and fun.

Also does either visitors centre have activities/playground/open spaces for kids??

Thanks

Jay :D

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Skyline is long and not particularly exciting but with an excellent view. Never attempt it in wet or windy conditions.
    Blade is probably the best trail at Afan. The final descent is excellent and the only trail at Afan worthy of its red grading.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    When I went a few years back:

Skyline was mostly a big boring fire road loop
    W2 was OK. It is Y Wal + Whytes joined by a section of fire road. I preferred Whytes, although someone I know went recently and wasn't impressed with it.
    The new Penhydd was quite good but quite easy.

I've not ridden the blade trail but it seems to get good reviews.

Apparently there is a museum at the main visitor centre and some walks start from there. I thought there was a playground but not 100% sure. There's fishing down the road in Glyncorrwg but probably not something the kids will be interested in.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The new Penhydd was quite good but quite easy.

While the downhill bits of Penhydd are O.K.(ish) they're not good enough to justify all the climbing, of which there is far too much.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I like the old bits of Penhydd. love the Y wal its so fast. whites is ok. not done blade, and skyline when its fully open is a lot of fireroad but has some lovely classic single track and the end decent is so long your hands ache by the end its brilliant.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Cheers, I did W2 a few years ago and really enjoyed it, although to be fair my usual riding is pretty tame being that I live in Essex so any of the trails will be a blast for me, will probably ride Blade as it had just opened last time I went and has good reviews. Hopefully persuade the family to do something totally different so get the day to myself!!