Best Tires for Fixie/ Tourer?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just gotten a fixie and I love it but the only thing that puts me off of it is that I don't want to be going through tires every other week. I currently use continental grandsport race on my road bike but I'm not sure if I should buy these again for my fixie?
I was mainly thinking about investing in the Continental Gatorskin folding tires but many have suggested getting a set of Schwalbe Durano plus tires.
Should I go for either of these is there a better alternative on the market?

The reason why I put tourer in the title is because I also plan to use these tires to cycle to Paris in August so need to be long lasting.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Tyres every week, are you doing lots of skidzzz?
    If so, have you worked out how many skid patches you have?
  • iPete wrote:

If you look carefully you just be able to notice that I said I don't want to be going through tires every other week, not that i do that now. Maybe read through it again perhaps bud, and maybe, just maybe, you'll realise it wasn't to be taken literally?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    August is less than a month away. Any tyre you buy now is going to last until then, if not slightly longer. In any case, the method of drive is not relavant, so buy the best tyres for the roads you will be riding, not your rear hub type.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:

If you look carefully you just be able to notice that I said I don't want to be going through tires every other week, not that i do that now. Maybe read through it again perhaps bud, and maybe, just maybe, you'll realise it wasn't to be taken literally?

In that case, use whatever you'd put on your road bike, the fact it's fixie means bugger all.
  • Imposter wrote:
    August is less than a month away. Any tyre you buy now is going to last until then, if not slightly longer. In any case, the method of drive is not relavant, so buy the best tyres for the roads you will be riding, not your rear hub type.
    Are there any specific tires you would suggest I get?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Are there any specific tires you would suggest I get?

Not really. If you are already using Grandsports and you are happy with them just get some more of those.
  • leemeh
    leemeh Posts: 16
    I have Gatorskins on a single speed and my road bike. I also did the Paris/Avenue verde on them (not on a single speed). No problems at all - perfect.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why does the OP think a fixed wheel needs different tyres?