Flat Bar conversion

leemeh
leemeh Posts: 16
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Bit of advice needed please.

Went from a touring/steel frame over to a more aggressive Raleigh Militis Elite. Cant get used to the more aggressive geometry, bike is definately not too big for me but I do feel too stretched/uncomfortable.

Tried many different stems, postions and so on and I think with my flexibility (lack of) and type of riding I prefer I clearly have the wrong bike, i needed a new bike and thought I'd prefer something faster - I was wrong, cant be the first person but I feel a bit of a goon for not sticking to what I was happy with before (I would rather go back to a tourer and not worry so much about speed now Ive had a few months on it).

So a tourer will be ordered after I find something I like. That leaves me with a road bike I wont use but I also need a new flat bar/hybrid for town/nipping about and the odd bit of commuting. Will exclusively be on decent roads so I can get away with road tyres. So thats where I'd like some advice/opinions please.

Should I cut my losses, sell the road bike, take a finacial hit and buy a hybrid. Or put £150 into it and convert it to a flat bar and use that as my shorter journey bike. Ill be reaching to the same position as the tops if I convert to a flat bar (maybe on slightly wider bars) and Im very comfortable there. Or is that just butchering my bike, lots of faff and a waste of effort. Anyone else done a flat bar conversion for similar reasons? I know thays very general, just wanted some opinions really (be gentle)

Comments

• For not all that much more than the money you'd spend converting your existing bike to flat-bar, you could buy a cheap but decent flat-bar road bike - such as this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-f ... 22664.html

So in the interim I'd say sell your Raleigh, buy something like the B'Twin and put the remainder towards whatever tourer you ultimately decide on.