Suspension

Michael foster
Michael foster Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in MTB general
I've recently brought a 2016 Giant Stance 2 and I'm wanting to upgrade the rear shock, but I'm not to sure on what to get. I was looking at the fox float but I'm not sure if that would fit. I would like a good quality Shock but also something that dosent brake the bank.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Question is why - what do you want it to do that the current shock doesn't?

Needs to be the same eye to eye length and same stroke.

And possibly the current shock has a custom tune for the chrarcteristics of the frame.

Probably best to keep posts to one thread, gets a lot less confusing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The main the thing I would want with the shock is a lockout, because I'm doing a fair bit of riding on paths and road just to get to my local trails. Cheers for the help. And sorry about posting in the wrong spot only just signed up the the forum page
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Your current shock has a permanent pedal platform. You can't switch it off. You won't get a shock to make your bike pedal better unless you spend £500ish on a Cane Creek Inline for a marginal improvement.
    Having switchable pedal platform means you can fully open it to get better performance when descending but to get a noticeable improvement you'd need to spend £350 minimum.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want a more supportive platform (is yours actually not doing its job?) run a little less sag and a touch more rebound damping.
    I run about 20% sag on mine normally and reduce that to about 15% for longer XC rides, pedal Bob is about 6mm travel (using the shock telltale and get a mate to video it) and barely noticeable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    it bought not brought :wink:

the monarch R isn't actually a bad shock when tuned to your weight/style. Cheapest way is to take a shock pump with you and adjust pressure for getting there and back/riding the trails other wise you will have to spend a couple of hundred pounds to get a decent shock.

the inline is about £360 not £500 as RMSC says above.

I've recently brought a 2016 Giant Stance 2 and I'm wanting to upgrade the rear shock, but I'm not to sure on what to get. I was looking at the fox float but I'm not sure if that would fit. I would like a good quality Shock but also something that dosent brake the bank.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I was thinking it was £500 I paid for my Inline but it was a few years ago and I might be confusing it with my Cane Creek DB coil.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I was thinking it was £500 I paid for my Inline but it was a few years ago and I might be confusing it with my Cane Creek DB coil.

you are :lol: