Balance between frame and equipment

haralamb
haralamb Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Am planning to buy a bike for some time now and after many hours spent reading I came to wonder just one thing: which is it better, buying a (complete bike with) renowned frame - which is more expensive - and less good equipment or viceversa - very good equipment and a lesser known brand frame.

My instinct tells me to go for the cheaper frame/expensive equipment because you have more pieces that can go wrong. If the frame gets messed up than it's easy:) But with the equipment, they need maintenance and fixing and mending etc.

The reason I've come to this conundrum is because I don't have an unlimited budget to go for the best in all direction, but it's still one that allows me to go for very good bikes.

Thank you,

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Now, remember that just because it is a boardman frame doesn't mean it's less good than a Giant frame
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • haralamb
    Thank you but I feel I need to be more specific. Since I have not chosen The bike for me yet let me put it in other words. For 2000eur i can buy (just an example) a vitus bike with almost top equipemnt (but a frame untested enough and unridden enough) or a cube/merida/whatever-appreciated-brand with a frame known for its quality but that comes with much lower equipment.

Would I feel the difference in frame quality even if i was a rookie? Because i imagine that in equipemnt i'd totally feel it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Vitus are good. Most frames are made in Taiwan, and most modern frames are good. Brands from Halfords, Decathlon etc are as good as anything else short of expensive boutique stuff, and you get much better components for your money.

So get one with the best fork and decent bits and it will be fine.

With the big brands you're paying a premium for the name.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    haralamb wrote:
    Thank you but I feel I need to be more specific. Since I have not chosen The bike for me yet let me put it in other words. For 2000eur i can buy (just an example) a vitus bike with almost top equipemnt (but a frame untested enough and unridden enough) or a cube/merida/whatever-appreciated-brand with a frame known for its quality but that comes with much lower equipment.

Would I feel the difference in frame quality even if i was a rookie? Because i imagine that in equipemnt i'd totally feel it.

Given that there can be huge differences in geometry and suspension layouts between manufacturers I would say the frame would be the most important consideration. I would see that to be even more so for a novice rider as it could mean the difference between a frame that would punish you for any mistakes vs a frame that will be very forgiving and flatter.

As above Vitus happen to be ok frame wise.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2016
    I agree frame as in type of riding, obviously a great DH frame will be rubbish for XC, but assuming the frame is suited to the type of riding and is competent, the bits hanging off it make a significant difference, especially the suspension.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With the above, there are very few bad frames out there, the vitus frame will almost certainly have come out of either a Giant or Merida factory anyway.

My old hardtail was a Carrera frame, it came from the same factory as a Rockhopper frame of the same age, it had the exact same geometry and weighed within a few grams the same weight, was it less good, no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would always put the frame first. Whilst there are very few bad frames, there are some extremely good ones. As long as the fork and shock are good, the rest doesn't make such a huge difference to the ride.
    I'd take a Santa Cruz with a basic build kit over a Vitus or Canyon with super high spec components
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I guess that is also based in the fact you would be buying an FS frame, where the frame makes more of a difference than on an HT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes, I agree. Frame is less important with hardtails.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Its not something you should really worry about unless you intend on building a bike up over time - most of the popular bikes strike a good balance between frame and components at their given price point. Just do your research....only advantage I see buying a higher spec frame was if it was carbon and you couldn't afford the Guccu version which would allow you to upgrade components over time.
  • haralamb
    Sorry about the Vitus example. It so happens that when I created my shortlist a VItus bike was there. Unfortunately though its price got cutoff and it immediately went sold out. And my main observation was that a Vitus frame (or, again, fill it with any other less known brand) with top specs is about 1000Eur cheaper than a Cube/Merida/Scott etc frame with exactly the same specs. And for the older, "premium" brands you pay for the name - which is normal - but you also get to have it tested a lot, receive many reviews and thus it's easier to feel it before buying. Or for the Vitus/Votec/Radon/Planet X etc etc etc (just added some of the names from the shortlist again:) you feel a bit like buying in blind.

But your suggestions are more or less on the same line and they encourage me to go for the lesser known brands without worrying too much.

Thanks!
  • haralamb
    Oh, and if you're curious I just ordered a custom made mr big 2, by rose bikes.
    Topic closed, thanks to everybody:)