Magura brakes any good?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I picked up my new Cannondale F-SI hardtail today and it has "Magura MT-RACE w/ Storm SL Rotors" brakes which I know nothing about.
Are these brakes any good?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, very.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattcee
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, very.

Even the MT Race version?
    Theres very little info about on these but more on MT2, MT4, MT6 etc?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mattcee
    cooldad wrote:
    Ride it and see.

Yeah good point :)
    Stomach bug at moment so wont be out until next week but was just curious about them.
    I have a spare set of Shimano SLX so didn't know if it'd be better swapping them out.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try them and see if you like them. If you don't, then swap them.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I used to run mt2, powerfull and good modulation but radial lever system worn out and was imposible to adjust reach, the plunger was not snug in place
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    After many years with MT2s and MT4s I would steer clear of Magura brakes and go for Shimano every single time. I have tried to like Magura as they get a lot of things right but after countless bleeding sessions, warranty claims and various adventures I switched to shimano and never looked back. Since you already have them I suggest ride them to experience them and when they break swap them out. What ever you do, do not sell the shimano.
  • Mattcee
    am7 wrote:
    After many years with MT2s and MT4s I would steer clear of Magura brakes and go for Shimano every single time. I have tried to like Magura as they get a lot of things right but after countless bleeding sessions, warranty claims and various adventures I switched to shimano and never looked back. Since you already have them I suggest ride them to experience them and when they break swap them out. What ever you do, do not sell the shimano.

Cheers and I've still not ridden it yet but it seems the race version could well be just re-branded MT4's and from the reviews, they're either awesome or terrible - with no in between!