For a California trip, what kind of shoes you recommend

RenneStone
RenneStone Posts: 7
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, well, let me tell you, my best friend and I are planing this year make our first trip along the pacific route. We have so many question about it, that we are planing it with anticipation because we really don't want to messed up. We are used to use hiking boots while riding, I personally use my Comfort High GTX, buuuut thinking about different kind of weather in California compared to Bozeman, Montana, it will be boots shoes the perfects based on our experience?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hiking boots sound like the worst things to ride in to me, but I doubt many people on a basically UK forum have even heard of Bozeman before, let alone know anything about the weather.
    California is hot - I've seen it in some movies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Hiking boots are the worst shoes to bike in after flip flops and sandals. The whole sole design is made to not be flat and to be hard, which just doesn't translate well to pedals. Already a huge step up would be some simple skate shoes
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With the above, hiking boots are really not at all the best for cycling in, whatever the weather.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hiking boots suck for riding.
    California is full of fat tourists in RV'S. It's nice up in the high sierras but the rest of its not great.
  • Sorry guys, but isnt this a USA forum? sorry for the bother. Totally agree with the comments of the bots now, bad experience this passed weekend.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    RenneStone wrote:
    Sorry guys, but isnt this a USA forum? sorry for the bother. Totally agree with the comments of the bots now, bad experience this passed weekend.

It is British, though there are also Americans on here (like myself, though I currently don't live in the US)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mexican, Canadian or Chilean?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why would you ride any distance in hiking boots ? I love mine for hiking - but they're not suited for cycling.

I'd be using my walking 'friendly' MTB shoes for the best of both worlds. You can do long rides with them and walk around for cafe stops.

I'd have different shoes for going out in though.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    ON or off road ??

Chris
  • Depending on the kind of movement you are doing, you will require around 2-3 sets of shoes. A few staples of California life are sneakers and shoes (for the two people), yet you might need to bring a third pair of dressier shoes on the off chance that you intend to go out in the night times.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2019
    Well done for not realising he was talking about cycling, not the best first post!
    You've only had 3 years to get it right after all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.