YT jeffsy

Herdwick
Herdwick Posts: 523
edited July 2016 in Your mountain bikes
arived today...

20160708_111641.jpg

Build it and took it for a spin at the local trails...
20160708_144500.jpg

first did a huge ascend to test the thing uphill, it pedals well with minimal bob while seated but at 14.3 kgs it's a burden to haul it up a 7km long ascend, the 2x10 helps a bit but still a tough job, gets off techy stuff well as it looks to put the power down at points in the trail that my hardtail loses traction and spins, not to soft over small bumps

On the downs, it doesn't ride like a 29er at all, agile, easy to manuevre around tight bends, lively and pops with minor input, handles well square hits, and it's f*****g fast on the open trail
The most obvious issues so far are the brakes, shimanos slx are not as powerfull and controlable as the avoids trail 9 I run on my other bike, and the rockshox reverb left hand side actuator wont work with the shimano brake/shifter combo
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks alright. Haven't actually seen one yet.
    I wouldn't buy one just because the whole marketing thing got really irritating!
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    One bike I can't make my mind up about. Partly the marketing as RC mentions and partly the early issues with the Capra carbon frames and cheap components.

It probably rides really well with the new breed of mid travel 29ers feeling agile and playful as you have found. Was certainly an aspect that stuck out for me when I got my Remedy 29er. Will be good to see how you find it long term but imagine you'll be loving it and wouldn't miss smaller wheels.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Are your Shifters , Brakes Shimano i spec or separate units, I only ask because I am about to get a LHS side Reverb for my Anthem and I m running SLX brakes and XT shifters , Obviously separate unit, didn't think there would be any issue with cockpit space , but would appreciate knowledge of what you ve found.
  • Herdwick
    Rmsc, I was looking for something desent and cheap, for 2000 euros don't mind the marketing hype! It actually fits the bill, not too much travel, good sizing although not mondrakeresque, and 29ner,
    Blogging fit, the remedy was high on my list but no where near my budget for a good spec list, local dealer is expensive and doesn't do the ordinary discount that I hear from people abroad.
    Tim, it's i spec system, and managed just now to fit the droper remote somewhere between the brake and shifter but on the right hand side, originally its a left hand side romote and on top of the handle bar and does not fit well on the keft side, now on the right side sits under the bar but closer to grip and easier for me, at least to use.
    When on the left side I had to lift my palm from the grip to reach it and is some how dangerous if you are going down a rowdy ride in the dry roots and ruts we have here!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    I'll post a pic soon
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    fouling between shifter and brake
    20160710_140011.jpg

20160710_135954.jpg

Droper
    20160710_135945.jpg
    Shifting
    20160710_135940.jpg
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Tim, a friend has the same configuration as your's, seperate shifter and brakes, both shimanos and a LH droper remote and it's impossible to make them fit together and work properly, no mater how you align the droper remote is out of reach and inconvinient to use, get someting like the south paw mech if it's available for RS, I am on the look out anyway
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Your brake looks like it is too close to the grip. Move your brake levers in towards the stem and you will have a better brake lever position and room to get the dropper remote right next to the grip where tour thumb naturally rests
  • Herdwick
    Nah, tried that first as it's how I would like to fix it but the i spec mount of the shifter fouls the remote cable and won't get close enough for the blade to reach, actually like this the brakes blade is about 1 inch from the inside of the grip
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    i would be moving it across to the left hand side and run it over the bar rather than under.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Herdwick
    tried that also, I need to lift my palm and almost release grip to reach the remote, basically it's a crap combination,
    never had an issue with my ks, much more ergonomic than RS and can work with all brake/shifter combo.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Herdwick wrote:
    tried that also, I need to lift my palm and almost release grip to reach the remote, basically it's a crap combination,
    never had an issue with my ks, much more ergonomic than RS and can work with all brake/shifter combo.

Going to have to have a think about this. As Herdwick says your most likely to want to drop your post on technical sections where you want full control over the bar, so not Ideal to have to lift your palm from the grip.

I had hoped running the Brake and Gear pods separate would give more scope for Bar positions rather than less.
  • Herdwick
    I will try to get a pic of that combo as well, it's easier to set up the shifter and brake levers where you want them but the extra bulk of the two rings makes things even worst on fitting the droper remote, on the occam the droper remote is on the left upper and inside position, not convinient!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut