TDF standings question.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,019
edited July 2016 in The bottom bracket
I guess this should be in pro race but I'm after a simple, no nonsense answer.

If Cavendish has had three first and three second places then how come he isn't in the yellow at this point?

I understand that at some point he will be dropped in the mountains but so far he's crossed the line fastest and my understanding of a race is that he who comes first (and second three times) is going to be in the lead...
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Really ?? Are you serious ?

It's done on time - so although he had the shortest time for three stages that he won - he's lost time on the other stages.

Almost 12k posts on here and you don't understand how bike races work ?
  • homers_double
    edited July 2016
    His finish numbers are 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st.

Or am I just being thick?
    Fenix wrote:
    Almost 12k posts on here and you don't understand how bike races work ?

99% are from MTB where being the fastest generaly puts you in first place.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're being thick.

TIME.

Not placings.

So position 2 COULD be 10 minutes down on position 1.

He's lost time in the stages that he hasn't placed on. Enough that other people have a smaller accumulated time.

In a bunch finish - if there's no 1 second clear gap between riders - the whole bunch gets given the same time.

So you could have someone at the back of the bunch crossing the line 10 or 20 secs later - but they are given the same time as the winner.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    edited July 2016
    His finish numbers are 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st.

Or am I just being thick?

No they aren't. He's finished 1st, 86th, 1st, 8th, 182nd and 1st. On the day he finished 182nd, he was 28 minutes behind the winner on the day.

You are looking at his position in the green jersey competition.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    It's all about overall time for the GC (yellow jersey) - not stage finishes points. Cav is in the Green Jersey as the leading points scorer so far, but lags GvA in elapsed race total time.

Cav is about a half hour behind in total time already. thanks to Stage 5 where he came in 28 + mins *slower* than van Avermaet on the stage, in the last dozen or so riders to finish.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • homers_double
    *walks off, head held in shame*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,319
    Just be glad you didn't ask in Pro Race. It's like a rally so it's the accumulation of time over all the stages, not the number of stages you win. Sprinters thing is different because it's about winning the sprints, but the inclusion of intermediate sprints part way along mean that he is unlikely to keep green as I understand it. He's never going to get the spotty top because even Stevo climbs better than him.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He's never going to get the spotty top because even Stevo climbs better than him.
    I'll take that as a compliment :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,319
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He's never going to get the spotty top because even Stevo climbs better than him.
    You've got to take them when you can, however tenuous.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No probs, I wouldn't want a spotty top anyway. That would look really w**k and roadie-like.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    As shown below. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.