Miniature compressors are only for car tyres!

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
After a recent mishap left my front tube with more holes in it than a recorder (not a figurative statement), this whole tubeless thing seemed like a good idea. A quick trip to the LBS for tape, sealant and free (free!) valves, and the breezy reassurance that I have a compressor, it's one of those miniature ones you get instead of a spare wheel with your car.

I'm so glad I tried it out before attaching it to a tyre full of sealant.

The flow of air is pitiful - my track pump shifts way more air. I may be glad of it one day, fixing a car tyre by the side of the road, but it's never going to do for the first time seating a tubeless bike tyre. Back to the LBS I went, where they have a real compressor.

TL;DR: Miniature compressors for car tyres are not what you need for seating a tubeless MTB tyre
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    you basically need a compressor with a tank
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... tor-44290/

I bought a Trek with Bontrager tyres, and tried the whole Bontrager system as it just seemed easier (only works with Bonty wheels and tyres). Couple of puffs with a track pump, seated and up they go.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've used my cars mini compressor in the car park before a ride a couple times. It worked a treat!
    Maybe some are better than others. Mine inflates a 20" X 255 car tyre in about two minutes so a 27.5 X 2.35" bicycle tyre takes seconds.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I've used my cars mini compressor in the car park before a ride a couple times. It worked a treat!
    Maybe some are better than others. Mine inflates a 20" X 255 car tyre in about two minutes so a 27.5 X 2.35" bicycle tyre takes seconds.

Think OP was talking about seating tubeless tyres with a mini compressor, which probably doesn't work that well
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use a track pump on my car.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not just me then!

Never had a problem inflating Schwalbe tyres on Stans rims.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I just a CO2 inflator for seating tyres on rims. Never failed for me yet.
    Specialized Butchers on Hope Tech Enduro wheels go straight up with a track pump anyway.
  • it depends a lot on the wheell/rim type. I seated rapid robs on a 21mm rim with a gas pump compressor easily, but couldn't budge sworks fast tracks on a 19mm 29" rim. It took a lot more duct tape than I liked, some window seal, some more tape, and after the tyre went on using my levers instead of my hands..it puffed up using a cheap bike pump. No problem.

But yes, tank compressors work great. Gas pump ones have a bit smaller air flow than home tanks, and they don't work if you remove the valve core. Atleast not in my country
  • rockmonkeysc
    I van now confirm that my car tyre emergency compressor will seat a tubeless tyre.
  • mine won't....
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not all will be the same though. My Jaguar one is designed to inflate huge tyres. A compressor in a Smart car is probably less powerful to inflate the wheelbarrow tyres on the car.