Setting up a new bike

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Just received delivery of a new bike today! comes with all the gubbins and guides but I was after a general set of steps to follow for a new bike.

It came boxed, with the saddle, seatpost and bars unattached so obviously they all go on, with a set of pedals for good measure.

- Does the chain need lubing? or should it be pre-lubed?
- I don't have a torque wrench so can't check correct tensions, is this something that I'd expect to be spot on?
FCN: 6

Comments

• I wouldn't assume anything has been set up properly.

First of all, bear in mind when putting the pedals on that the left hand pedal has a left hand thread, and will therefore screw into the crank arm "the wrong way". Don't assume it's just a tight fit and screw it in normally - you'll ruin the pedal, crank arm or both.

The chain should have some grease on it, which will be fine for the first few rides, but it will need lubricating before too long.

You shouldn't need a torque wrench, just some common sense. It's a bike, not a 10 ton tank, so nothing needs to be too tight. So long as the seat doesn't move when you sit on it, the handlebars don't move when you give them a good firm tug, you'll be fine. As a check before you ride it, stand over the bike, put the front brake on, and push the bike forwards and backwards. There should be no play in the fork at all.

I would check that the quick release skewers for the wheels are done up, since they may have worked loose in transit. Finally, I'd check that the rear derailleur is indexed properly. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On57Tl9qYRM for details on this.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    If it is a carbon bike you WILL need a torque wrench as some setting are quite low - don't risk over tightening carbon. Good idea to grease seatpost (or carbon paste if carbon) and wheel skewers and pedal threads. Make sure when fitting bars that the clamp has an equal gap top & bottom as well as setting right torque