iphone or android (a bike question really)

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm going to have to get a work mobile and have the option of a Samsung Galaxy J3 or iphone 5S.

I know nothing about phones at all but obviously the most important thing about them should be:

1) Small size and weight in a jersey pocket
2) Best compatibility with a Garmin Edge 520
3) Best compatibility with a smart turbo trainer if I was to get one

Is there any difference between those phones in particular and also Android v's Apple in terms of syncing with the 520? Does one drain the Edge battery more? Any difference in live tracking?

Basically, I've no idea at all about this as my current phone is from 1980, I'm 99% motivated by what's best for riding and am not paying for either of them so any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm going to have to get a work mobile and have the option of a Samsung Galaxy J3 or iphone 5S.

I know nothing about phones at all but obviously the most important thing about them should be:

1) Small size and weight in a jersey pocket
    2) Best compatibility with a Garmin Edge 520
    3) Best compatibility with a smart turbo trainer if I was to get one

Is there any difference between those phones in particular and also Android v's Apple in terms of syncing with the 520? Does one drain the Edge battery more? Any difference in live tracking?

Basically, I've no idea at all about this as my current phone is from 1980, I'm 99% motivated by what's best for riding and am not paying for either of them so any advice gratefully received.

Are you going to use it with a car? If so, iPhones don't do RSAP so you don't get full connectivity with the car and the benefit of the cars antenna.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    philthy3 wrote:

Are you going to use it with a car? If so, iPhones don't do RSAP so you don't get full connectivity with the car and the benefit of the cars antenna.

No, I haven't got a car so it's basically about 1% ability to get work e-mails and 99% use with a 520....
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Either will link up to the Garmin just fine. Both similar sizes ie quite small by today's phablet standards.
    You'll get people fervently claiming benefits for one system or other - I am an Android fan as I like the flexibility, customisation and find them much better value. However if you are a tech Luddite and someone else is paying for it then the iPhone would be the best choice.
    In terms of smart trainers most work on both but it's more common to have an iOS app and not an Android app than the other way round.
    I use the Glypmse Android app for live tracking - works a treat and is free.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SImilarly Cyclemeter (only available on IOS) is better for live tracking than Garmin Connect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Can't comment on Android, but by the time I've put the key in the back door after a ride, my Garmin 520 has uploaded to Strava via the iPhone in my jersey pocket.
  • My Moto G synchs with my 520 and then Garmin Connect just as quickly, so that's probably not a distinguishing feature between Android and Apple.

I wish I could get Cyclemeter on Android, because from what I've seen online it seems to be a pretty good app, although Wahoo is OK and works for both.

One other thing the OP might want to consider is ANT+ connectivity. Pretty much all current phones have Bluetooth Smart so will talk to a 520, but if he has anything he wants to connect with by ANT+. Some phones have it and some don't. My Moto G doesn't.