GPS with Strava + guidance

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a Garmin Edge Touring right now which i use for mapping and guidance but love Strava on both my road and mountain bikes which i use on my phone and want to buy a new GPS computer that supports left/right turn guidance, the ability to create my own routes (with guidance) and have Strava live segments that show on the computer in real time.

It seems the only device that do this are the Garmin units so have narrowed it down to the 520 and 810 - but have read that turning guidance can be somewhat flaky.

Which would be the best out of these 2 (if any) that would suit my Strava/guidance needs - or are there any other makes that do this that I've missed?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    810 - it has a 'real' map.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I think the 520 is pretty limited in terms of navigation. Don't know about the 810 but it's pretty old now.

If I were you I'd sell the touring and put the money toward a 1000.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    810 works fine. Ignore the getting old now comments. The 810 has full mapping and will do turn by turn with on screen indications and audible warnings. If you're following a course only to find the road is closed or has been covered in chippings and you don't know the area, the 810's full mapping will allow you to navigate your way on a detour. I have one and it connects perfectly with my powermeter with built in cadence on one bike, and the cadence and speed sensors on another. Yes, the firmware suffers with glitches when Garmin mess about with updates, but then, so does every other device Garmin make in the Edge series. The 1000 has a bigger screen and is bigger which makes it difficult to fit some mounts without getting a longer one. The 1000's screen is more responsive, but I've never had a problem with my 810's screen. The 1000 notifies you that you've received messages etc, but my phone does that with assigned ring tones. I don't want to be taking calls unless it's important and an assigned ringtone will alert me to that. Try Handtec for good prices.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    There were photos / mock ups of the 820 doing the rounds a short time ago, think they were on the Garmin website but taken down - might bring the 800 series back up to where it needs to be if it is on the horizon.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Compared to the 810 The Garmin 1000 is:
    - 18 months newer
    - has twice the screen resolution,
    - Wifi for auto uploads,
    - bluetooth 4 so can display notifications from your phone
    - Glonass for better GPS resolution and faster acquisition
    - About £100 more than the 810

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/catalog ... uct=112912

tbh, both are looking a bit old now, and I'd expect at least one of them to be updated soon, but that might not be until CES in Jan 2017.
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Just bought the 1000, its pretty damn good
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    Got the 1000 delivered today (with cadence/heart monitor/speed sensor) so thanks for the advice - seems like a nice bit of kit compared to the Touring and have been importing Strava segments today from the gniza website.

One more question if I may...
    I actually found another identical Garmin cadence sensor in the shed which I used on my turbo trainer/laptop so have 2 of these now.
    If I put one on my road bike and one on my XC MTB, will the 1000 be able to pick both of these sensors up depending on what bike I'm using so don't have to swap them about?
  • StillGoing
    Yes, just select which bike you're using at the start of the ride.
  • StillGoing
    shmooster wrote:
    Compared to the 810 The Garmin 1000 is:
    - 18 months newer
    - has twice the screen resolution,
    - Wifi for auto uploads,
    - bluetooth 4 so can display notifications from your phone
    - Glonass for better GPS resolution and faster acquisition
    - About £100 more than the 810

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/catalog ... uct=112912

tbh, both are looking a bit old now, and I'd expect at least one of them to be updated soon, but that might not be until CES in Jan 2017.

I can't see in what way those additional features are of benefit?
    18 months newer - Wow whoopee do. :D
    Twice the screen resolution - I prefer to look at the road when I'm riding rather than read the screen overly. As long as I can see the numbers, I'm happy.
    Wifi for auto uploads - the 810 does auto uploads via Bluetooth and providing you've done the settings will auto upload to Strava and social media.
    Bluetooth 4 so can display notifications from your phone - Why? Ride the bloody bike and ignore the phone. If you're expecting an urgent call or need to respond from calls from certain people, give them assigned ring and SMS tones.
    Glonass for better GPS resolution and faster acquisition - how do I manage with that fraction of a second delay in satellite acquisition :D
    About £100 more than the 810 - I'll give you that one. :lol:
  • shmooster
    philthy3 wrote:
    Twice the screen resolution - I prefer to look at the road when I'm riding rather than read the screen overly. As long as I can see the numbers, I'm happy.
    Wifi for auto uploads - the 810 does auto uploads via Bluetooth and providing you've done the settings will auto upload to Strava and social media.
    Bluetooth 4 so can display notifications from your phone - Why? Ride the bloody bike and ignore the phone. If you're expecting an urgent call or need to respond from calls from certain people, give them assigned ring and SMS tones.
    Glonass for better GPS resolution and faster acquisition - how do I manage with that fraction of a second delay in satellite acquisition :D

Maybe not useful to you, maybe to others.

18 months newer means a newer faster processor so more responsive, also going to be supported for longer with new features and bug fixes.
    Twice the screen resolution, self evident why thats a good thing.
    Wifi uploads are more reliable and timely than bluetooth. For BT you often have to go into the app to give it a prod to update, with wifi it's there as soon as you hit a trusted network.
    Notifications? Well, good luck with your strategy of knowing who's going to call you urgently in advance.
    Glonass is about accuracy not just acquisition time.
  • StillGoing
    shmooster wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Maybe not useful to you, maybe to others.

18 months newer means a newer faster processor so more responsive, also going to be supported for longer with new features and bug fixes.
    Twice the screen resolution, self evident why thats a good thing.
    Wifi uploads are more reliable and timely than bluetooth. For BT you often have to go into the app to give it a prod to update, with wifi it's there as soon as you hit a trusted network.
    Notifications? Well, good luck with your strategy of knowing who's going to call you urgently in advance.
    Glonass is about accuracy not just acquisition time.

The firmware platform for the 810 is the same as the 510, 520 and 1000 so will be around for a few more years yet. Hell 705s are still going strong!
    Screen resolution; if it's that bad, maybe people should be looking at the Wahoo Elmnt in black and white. The screen image on the 810 is fine for me and countless others.
    Never had a problem with uploading with Bluetooth. The only issue has been with Livetrack between the device and Garmin Connect, but that's an issue that is affecting every Edge device to date. Using a different tracking app sorts the problem out.
    If somebody is trying to contact me urgently, the phone will ring repeatedly. That will tell me I need to stop and answer the thing. If my wife is trying to get hold of me, she knows I'm out on a ride and will only call if there's an issue. An allocated ring tone soon identifies her calling and if she is, I know I maybe need to stop and answer it.
    Glonass and accuracy. In what way? Elevation is calculated from barometric pressure, but the variation in calculations between devices of the same model can be vastly different as can distances. Positioning on a map is not an issue in my experience. I'd be interested to hear if those issues are not also variable in 520 devices.
  • shmooster
    philthy3 wrote:
    The firmware platform for the 810 is the same as the 510, 520 and 1000 so will be around for a few more years yet. Hell 705s are still going strong!
    Screen resolution; if it's that bad, maybe people should be looking at the Wahoo Elmnt in black and white. The screen image on the 810 is fine for me and countless others.
    Never had a problem with uploading with Bluetooth. The only issue has been with Livetrack between the device and Garmin Connect, but that's an issue that is affecting every Edge device to date. Using a different tracking app sorts the problem out.
    If somebody is trying to contact me urgently, the phone will ring repeatedly. That will tell me I need to stop and answer the thing. If my wife is trying to get hold of me, she knows I'm out on a ride and will only call if there's an issue. An allocated ring tone soon identifies her calling and if she is, I know I maybe need to stop and answer it.
    Glonass and accuracy. In what way? Elevation is calculated from barometric pressure, but the variation in calculations between devices of the same model can be vastly different as can distances. Positioning on a map is not an issue in my experience. I'd be interested to hear if those issues are not also variable in 520 devices.

I think the 1000 isn't for you :-)
  • StillGoing
    shmooster wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I think the 1000 isn't for you :-)

Definitely not! :lol:

Edited to add that the 510 also has Glonass.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know the OP is sorted now, but the Explore 1000 seems a good alternative to the original 1000 these days.
    You get a remote and silicon case included.
  • Anonymous
    philthy3 wrote:
    810 works fine. Ignore the getting old now comments. The 810 has full mapping and will do turn by turn with on screen indications and audible warnings. If you're following a course only to find the road is closed or has been covered in chippings and you don't know the area, the 810's full mapping will allow you to navigate your way on a detour. I have one and it connects perfectly with my powermeter with built in cadence on one bike, and the cadence and speed sensors on another. Yes, the firmware suffers with glitches when Garmin mess about with updates, but then, so does every other device Garmin make in the Edge series. The 1000 has a bigger screen and is bigger which makes it difficult to fit some mounts without getting a longer one. The 1000's screen is more responsive, but I've never had a problem with my 810's screen. The 1000 notifies you that you've received messages etc, but my phone does that with assigned ring tones. I don't want to be taking calls unless it's important and an assigned ringtone will alert me to that. Try Handtec for good prices.

Trust me, call alerts on screen are much better than an assigned ring tone.
    I have had lots of text messages that were useful to know about.
    How does an assigned ring tone even tell you a call is important?
    A lot of people would not even hear a phone ringing if its in a waterproof bag and its windy/noisy.

Screen resolution is screen resolution. Its just better if its clearer (and bigger).
    Would you have the same approach to a mobile phone, car sat nav, or TV?

People should not 'ignore' the getting old now comments because it is!
    You can always make do with stuff like assigned ring tones and poorer res screens etc etc but things move on and the newer Garmins are much better with features that are genuinely useful.

Loads of people slagged the 1000 off when it was first announced......... then went out and bought one 8)

Sure the 810 is fine if you have one and probably not worth upgrading, but if you are getting a new one then get a newer model IMO.

The 'Explore 1000' may be a bigger threat to 810 buying than the original 1000 anyway.

Edit:

Just noticed the 820 has been announced and it has 'Group Track'
    Its an idea that I had ages ago. I recently mentioned the idea to a Garmin guy at a show and he said "watch this space".

It will be a fantastic feature and its annoying that it will not be on the 1000 (and hopefully Explore 1000) for a while.

If there was a reason to not buy an 810 (or to upgrade your 810) then this is probably it!
  • StillGoing
    Yes saw DC Rainmakers review of his prototype 820 this morning. Available to the Euro market supposedly mid August. I will probably upgrade my 810 to the 820 for things like group monitoring, SOS alert, stress scores etc.

Ringtone and SMS tone assignments work because as mentioned, I don't expect any calls that I urgently need to answer. The only calls I would expect to be urgent are those from my wife if there's a problem. She knows when I'm riding and wouldn't bother ringing to talk about something that wasn't urgent. My house alarm has an assigned ring tone so I know when that has gone off and can stop to call someone to go and check while I make my way home. For someone in a work environment, I can see the need to take calls and monitor incoming messages and emails, but while you're riding. Seriously? The luck of being retired.

If there was something wrong with the screen resolution of the 810, sure I'd look to something else, but there is nothing wrong with it. It's a bike computer that has a display that is clear enough to read while you're riding without difficulty. It isn't as if I'm trying to read a document or analyse an intricate image of something. Screen size is not something that appeals to many riders. Interesting that the 820 screen is smaller than the 810 and much smaller than the 1000. But then what do you want to see? It's big enough to display 10 items on screen of a size big enough to read so why the need for a bigger screen? I don't buy into that.

So yes the 810 is being phased out (I suspect it will still have support from Garmin for many years to come) and the 820 is arriving. If you wanted something smallish that did full mapping etc, you'd inevitably go for the 820 over the 810 if funds permit.
  • Anonymous
    Evans are saying its available next Tuesday, but they are so useless its probably meant to be Aug not July.

Not sure about that screen size/shape for is best use of the Group track.
    Would have thought a longer narrow screen (like the 1000) would be better if you have people ahead and behind you.
    A small square screen will mean the graphics will either have to shrink, or riders will drop off the screen.

I think the smaller than 810 screen is odd, but maybe it fits better in the new range.
    A lot of people will probably go to the 1000 rather than the 820 I reckon.

Group Track will have a big impact on riding and Garmin sales IMO.
  • StillGoing
    True. The Garmin site has immediate availability with 2-3 working days for delivery. Price is showing as £330 for the basic device and £280 for the Explore version. No prices for the 820 bundle. Interestingly they're still showing the 810 at £320! Why would anyone do that for the cost of £10 difference?

£297 for the basic 820 using discount code at Clever Training so I've ordered one. Due mid August.
  • shmooster
    Looks like a really nice device, might have to invest in one instead of waiting for the 1010