Frames with BSA/English BBs

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I am thinking about getting a new frame (my current one is 10+ years old). Trouble is I ideally want one that takes threaded bottom brackets and not press fit ones and the vast majority seem to have one of the many different types of press fit ones!

Does anyone know of specific brands that still use threaded bottom brackets on their frames?

Thanks!
Mañana

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Genesis Equilibrium and Croix de Fer.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    pb21 wrote:
    I am thinking about getting a new frame (my current one is 10+ years old). Trouble is I ideally want one that takes threaded bottom brackets and not press fit ones and the vast majority seem to have one of the many different types of press fit ones!

Does anyone know of specific brands that still use threaded bottom brackets on their frames?

Thanks!

Various still do. e.g See the Dolan Dual. I got one and like it. Many (most?) Aluminium and nearly all steel bikes still do.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Off the top of my head, the Pinarello F8 still has a threaded (albeit Italian) BB, Colnago have a threaded version on the C60 - although maybe a push fit threaded insert...

Other than that, you're largely into the niche guys - many steel frames still use threaded but all the big boys use something push fit...

Depends why you want to go threaded really - if it's to use existing kit, then you can get various adaptors which convert push fit to threaded. If it's because you just don't like the idea then you're probably out of luck.
  • My Bianchi Intenso uses an English threaded BB.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Two reasons really, I want to use my existing chainset/BB and also, as I understand it, press fit BBs are a nightmare for creaking, and I HATE creaks!
    Mañana
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not all press-fit BBs are problematic - much of the bad press has been down to the original BB30 standard, which really was shite. More recent press fit standards like 386Evo are a lot better...
  • Unamed2.0
    Unamed2.0 Posts: 41
    I think some of the lower-specced Cannondale CAAD8 (Claris, Sora) have a threaded BB. From Tiagra upwards I think they change to BB30.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    What type of bike? Race, tour, audax, gravel?

Most titanium frames use threaded bottom brackets.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    A number of Planet X bikes have English BBs, the London Road, the Viner Mitus, the Pro Carbon Road and the RT-57 to name a few.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Scott has a Shimano press-fit BB86 and it's been smooth and totally silent for 3 years. Virtually all dry miles though. I don't like the idea that I can't take out the BB without using force which may damage it, but then again I haven't had to...
    105 threaded HT2 BB on the alu winter bike (Kinesis Racelight Tk) lasted 3 years, the Ultegra replacement is still going strong after 6. I do like to strip the bikes down to the frame every couple of years to give everything a good clean and check for cracks, corrosion etc.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    keef66 wrote:
    My Scott has a Shimano press-fit BB86 and it's been smooth and totally silent for 3 years. Virtually all dry miles though. I don't like the idea that I can't take out the BB without using force which may damage it, but then again I haven't had to...
    105 threaded HT2 BB on the alu winter bike (Kinesis Racelight Tk) lasted 3 years, the Ultegra replacement is still going strong after 6. I do like to strip the bikes down to the frame every couple of years to give everything a good clean and check for cracks, corrosion etc.
    Pressfit type BBs are not designed to be removed and refitted only removed and replaced so the only consideration should be not to damage the BB shell getting the old BB out.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, it's BB30 that's a crock as it relies on precision tolerances for the BB shell not typically achievable using normal production techniques plus if there's water ingress into the BB shell, the bearings are sitting in manky water and die very quickly. I have two bikes with BB86 or BB92 and both have been trouble free - the bearings are housed in a plastic housing and are spaced wider-apart.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I think that 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert has a BSA BB- spec says it's threaded in carbon shell.
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    Some of the Dolan bikes still have BBs
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Imposter wrote:
    Not all press-fit BBs are problematic - much of the bad press has been down to the original BB30 standard, which really was shite. More recent press fit standards like 386Evo are a lot better...

As Imposter says, original PF BBs were shite. Any PF BB can be converted to use whatever crankset you have. My main bike is BB386 Evo with a Rotor 4624 conversion rather than using shims that are a waste of time and energy.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    cantaloupe wrote:

Surely they all do? :D
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    philthy3 wrote:
    cantaloupe wrote:

Surely they all do? :D
    Unless they're balance bikes ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What sort of riding do you want to do?

I've just seen P-X do some racey looking frames that still have BSA BB's (huzzah!) which is very tempting..
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXEC130/ ... d-frameset