Different shifters for shimano Claris

Mathewbrooks
Mathewbrooks Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I currently own a 2015 cube peloton with Claris group set. One of the things I would like to know is am I able to change only the shifters to a different model that have different routing for the cables. Currently they come out of the shifter and look untidy.

I'm not keen on changing the whole group set if I don't have to.

Thanks

Mathew

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're fitting new shifters to get the gear cables routed under the bar tape, the cheapest new kit would be the new Tiagra. Which is 10 speed. So you may as well fit a 10 speed cassette and chain while you're at it. Actually, hang on, the new Tiagra has a different cable pull from the older 10 speed stuff so you'd need new mechs as well...

So what you need is some 105 5700 levers, a 10 speed cassette and chain. Under bar tape routing, an extra couple of cogs, and it will work with your Claris mechs.

ETA: the 5700 shifters are cheaper than the new Tiagra ones on Wiggle...
  • keef66 wrote:
    If you're fitting new shifters to get the gear cables routed under the bar tape, the cheapest new kit would be the new Tiagra. Which is 10 speed. So you may as well fit a 10 speed cassette and chain while you're at it. Actually, hang on, the new Tiagra has a different cable pull from the older 10 speed stuff so you'd need new mechs as well...

So what you need is some 105 5700 levers, a 10 speed cassette and chain. Under bar tape routing, an extra couple of cogs, and it will work with your Claris mechs.

ETA: the 5700 shifters are cheaper than the new Tiagra ones on Wiggle...

But we all know 5700 shifters are the work of the devil!
  • keef66
    But we all know 5700 shifters are the work of the devil!

Yebbut the OP wants to lose the untidy side-sprouting gear cables, innit?

I'm sticking with my unsightly but eminently functional 4500 and 5600 shifters...
  • I'm with you there, my commuter has Sora shifters with external gear cables and it's sweet, being 9 speed also extremely cheap on transmission spares. My two middle bikes are 5700 and consequently I have well developed hands and wrists, not as a result of certain practices of which I won't discuss in polite company. Best bike has Ultegra 11 speed and that's light and wonderful.
  • Thanks for the help guys.
    So I would need to but two 105 shifters
    A 10 speed cassette, chain and rear deraillure.

I also have the Claris with the three front crank rings... Will I need the 105 cranks and deraillure also??
  • keef66
    If you want to keep the triple front chainrings, look for 5703 triple shifters.

If you've found that you don't really need the smallest chainring, go for 5700 double shifters, a double chainset and a double front mech.

But then all you'd have of the original groupset is the rear mech and the brakes, so buying a complete 5800 11 speed groupset might be cheaper - as long as your wheels will take an 11 speed cassette.

Failing that, a new Tiagra 4700 10 speed groupset?